2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Matagorda Nature Park Question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Castaway2 
#1 ·
We have set our dates for an rv trip to Matagorda. Arriving on October 27 and leaving November 3. Generally weather is good around that time and I have always had better results fishing. I feel like we should be able to catch some reds and flounder at that time, but have never fished that area of the coast. We are on the South Loop, almost directly behind the pier. Can anyone give me some info that could help us. There will be several families going, and some of them have fished very little. I would love to see them catch a few fish.

Will the river be better, or would it be better to head to the surf? Will live bait be available at that time of the year? I think there best bet on catching something would be live shrimp under a popping cork. Also for side trips, any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Posted also in TTMB but got no response. Hopefully will get some here.

#2 ·
You guys going to have a boat or just land bound?

Should be able to catch flounder in the old river right behind the park. Fish on bottom with 1/8th oz jig head and a curly tail gulp or something similar. Chicken Boys are good for that as well.

If you are using lights at night, i'm sure you'll have plenty of trout in them... might be better trout in the River proper ...just depends on what the salinity is doing by then. It just finally settled down to a decent consistent flow...it might sweeten up a little by then.

Sould be some bulls in the surf by then as well. Half crab, live crab, or cut mullet/menhaden and a circle hook from the rocks at the end of the park / river mouth.

#3 ·
You guys going to have a boat or just land bound?

Should be able to catch flounder in the old river right behind the park. Fish on bottom with 1/8th oz jig head and a curly tail gulp or something similar. Chicken Boys are good for that as well.

If you are using lights at night, i'm sure you'll have plenty of trout in them... might be better trout in the River proper ...just depends on what the salinity is doing by then. It just finally settled down to a decent consistent flow...it might sweeten up a little by then.

Sould be some bulls in the surf by then as well. Half crab, live crab, or cut mullet/menhaden and a circle hook from the rocks at the end of the park / river mouth.
Thank you. We will be land bound.

#4 ·
The surf and jetties will probably be better than the river if they are fishable. There should be plenty of live bait available. X2 on the bull reds at the jetties.

The lower river just doesn't hold fish like it did before they closed Parker's Cut. You can probably catch some flounder and an assortment of smaller fish like croaker, sand trout, whiting, etc there off the LCRA pier.

There are plenty of other places you can drive up and fish. You can go down the cemetery road and probably catch flounder pretty well at that time. Maybe down by the locks too. if you have a 4x4 you can run down the beach and back to 3 mile cut or further down and drive back in to East Matagorda Bay. If you have access to a kayak it would open up a whole lot of opportunities. You may be able to rent some down there.

#7 ·
also take you a crab trap... crabbing is the best it has been in years not hard to bring home 70+ in a weekend. use a yak to take it across the river but be sure to stake it down to the bank as the tide drug one of mine off little over a month ago. luckily while out fishing the next day the tide brought it back to me about 400yds from where I set it. craziest thing I have had happen just sitting there fishing and look up and sure enough here comes the float and I was like..... is that ...no way ....all be damned it is!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.