Wreck off Bolivar beach front - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #21
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by planohog View Post
That looks shallow, probably 5 foot or so .
You may not be off by much. I would think closer to 8 or 9 feet other than immediately around the ship where sand bars have obviously built up around it.

The Bolivar Pocket has been filling in since the jetties were built and, to my knowledge, has never had any of it dredged out. We used to wade from the posts that block off beach driving south of Rettilion Rd, on an almost straight line towards the boat cut in the north jetty and not until you get close do you have to angle over towards the jetty to keep from getting in over your head.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #22
Ark8912
Registered Users-pm+

Ark8912 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Does anyone have any details on this?
Ark8912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #23
Its Catchy
Banned

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark8912 View Post
No details yet. Other than we know it's been there for at least 60 years and locals used to call it the "cigar ship" because it resembles a cigar from the beach near the Bolivar Pocket.

Google search has not turned up anything. I am assuming it is a well documented shipwreck.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #24
ACC
Registered Users-pm+

ACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to Pirate
I recall reading somewhere that the wreck off Bolivar is a Civil War blockade runner. There used to be an island off Bolivar named something or another Caye. The ship was being chased by a Union gunboat and tried to run between the island and the beach, maybe even at night. It ran aground and was lost.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #25
Icetrey
Registered Users-pm+

Icetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to Pirate
No details on the ships origin. But I will say you'll are a bit off on depth. It's about 12ft deep around it depending on which side of it you're on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Icetrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 02:46 AM   #26
Erlbon
Registered Users-pm+

Erlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
This is the wreck of the concrete tanker Durham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark8912 View Post
Hi, I registered on this board just to give my input on this wreck. I'm currently researching the history of all concrete ships ever built, and I'm fairly sure that this is the forepart of "Durham" (221004).

The Durham, along with her sister "Darlington" was a concrete tanker built by McDonald Engineering in Aransas in 1919-1920. They had a very unusual design, the hull consisting of two large cylinders placed side by side, not unlike the whaleback ships built for the Great Lakes during the turn of the century. However, they were woefully underpowered with a grand total of 320 HP for 2000 DWT, which made them nearly impossible to control.

Darlington developed cracks in her hull during her maiden voyage, and was never put to commercial use. Durham had one voyage back and forth to Tampico before she too was docked permanently. The end of WWI made a lot of excess tonnage available for very cheap, and there was little use in keeping a heavy, underpowered ship like this in business.

Size is given as 298 x 34 x 22 ft.

Like many other concrete ships, the sisters were destined to become breakwaters - But during tow in June 1922, the rope broke and Darlington was seperated from Durham and the tugboat - She grounded at Matagorda Island (28.23616, -96.60738), and the remains are still visible.

Officially, all records of Durham disappears at this point.

However, the ships were to be towed to Galvestion - and I have discovered images titled "Durham" in the Corpus Christi Public Library, which are quite similar to the youtube clip posted above. I've attached that to this post, along with the only image I've found of one of the ships, which shows them looking like a modern submarine.

https://elibrary.cclibraries.com/cgi...oncrete%20ship

There is a thesis from A & M that supports this theory as well, which i discovered afterwards - https://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/bi...=1&isAllowed=y

Rowlands theory, which I'm partial to - is that the other half of Durham is used as a fishing jetty near the end of the North Jetty (29.34666, -94.68618). I'd be grateful if anyone have images, videos or any kind of information about the size and form of the wreck on that site.

And if anyone happens to drop by La Retama Central Library in Corpus Christi, where these images are stored, I'd be much obliged for a better report than what can be gathered online.

Best regards,
Erlend Bonderud.
Attached Images

Erlbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 05:43 AM   #27
Erlbon
Registered Users-pm+

Erlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
After a little bit more searching, I managed to find a better image of her. They must have digitalized more assets since the last time I searched.

https://tsl.access.preservica.com/?s=concrete+tanker
Attached Images

Last edited by Erlbon; 01-15-2020 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added image
Erlbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #28
JimG
Registered Users-pm+

JimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to PirateJimG has been promoted to Pirate
Very cool history! Thanks for posting this!
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #29
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
I’ve never been close to the wreck on the Bolivar beachfront but I have been close to the wreck at Seawolf Park. I know for a fact that the wreck at SWP is a concrete ship. I didn’t know the Bolivar wreck was one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #30
Santana
Registered Users-pm+

Santana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSantana has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Erlbon, Thank you for posting this. From the evidence you provided and the video I would have to agree that the wreck off the Bolivar Pocket is the Durham. You can still see the "round" design of the ribs in the drone video and the width of the ship from the Google Earth satellite photo matches very closely.

No other ship I have seen has such a round construction. Almost like a submarine.

Thanks again.
Santana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message