Wreck off Bolivar beach front - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #31
Crystalbeachangler
Catch and Release

Crystalbeachangler is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
This is a really cool thread. I have enjoyed reading through the posted articles. Thanks for the history lesson! I’m definitely going to share.
Crystalbeachangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #32
coin-operated
Registered Users-pm+

coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)coin-operated has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Awesome!

Thanks so much for this. I have wondered about that wreck for 60 years. The "old salts" used to call it the whaleback. I thought it was just because that is what it resembled. Apparently at least some of them knew what it was: a whaleback tanker.
Thanks again for posting! Tight lines.
coin-operated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #33
ACC
Registered Users-pm+

ACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to PirateACC has been promoted to Pirate
The shipwreck I was thinking about is the Denbigh

https://nautarch.tamu.edu/PROJECTS/denbigh/HISTORY3.HTM
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #34
Erlbon
Registered Users-pm+

Erlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of GunnerErlbon has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
The shipwreck I was thinking about is the Denbigh

https://nautarch.tamu.edu/PROJECTS/denbigh/HISTORY3.HTM
"Denbigh lies today in shallow water on the north side of Bolivar Roads. The wreck is not far from Fort Travis, a post-Civil War fortification that is now a county park. The wreck is ordinarily underwater, but on rare occasions, when the tide is extremely low, the upper parts of the sidewheels and some machinery are visible above the surface "

From that description, I reckon the Denbigh is registered in the AWIOS as the wreck located at 29.36414, -94.743942
Erlbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 01:35 AM   #35
4 Ever-Fish N
Registered Users-pm+

4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate
We used to get out of our boat and walk around on the "concrete ship", fishing for flounder. I don't think you can walk on it any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanerojooz View Post
I’ve never been close to the wreck on the Bolivar beachfront but I have been close to the wreck at Seawolf Park. I know for a fact that the wreck at SWP is a concrete ship. I didn’t know the Bolivar wreck was one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 Ever-Fish N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #36
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for posting up the info Erlbon.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #37
hog_down
Registered Users-pm+

hog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Pirate
Knocked it out of the park, Erlbon. Very, very neat Texas history you found, thank you for sharing.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #38
riopga
Registered Users-pm+

riopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateerriopga has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlbon View Post
"Denbigh lies today in shallow water on the north side of Bolivar Roads. The wreck is not far from Fort Travis, a post-Civil War fortification that is now a county park. The wreck is ordinarily underwater, but on rare occasions, when the tide is extremely low, the upper parts of the sidewheels and some machinery are visible above the surface "

From that description, I reckon the Denbigh is registered in the AWIOS as the wreck located at 29.36414, -94.743942
My dad and I used to fish this wreck when I was a kid forty years ago. You can't really see it anymore unless it's a super low tide. There is a pole marking it's location. I never knew this wrecks name. More cool info! This wreck is inside the jetty, while the whaleback is outside of it.
riopga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message