2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Tortoises anyone?

13K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  jtrux 
#1 ·
I've got a few tortoises in my backyard and figured I'd share a few pics.

Male South African leopard tortoise...

Male Indian star tortoise...

Baby Indian star tortoise...

Baby leopard tortoises...

Baby sulcata tortoise...

Small female leopard tortoise...

Baby yellowfoot tortoise...

Enjoy!

See less See more
#3 ·
It all depends. Babies are a little more work due to their small size, which makes them more susceptible to husbandry errors. Once they get to a larger size, they are easily managed in an escape-proof and predator-proof enclosure in your backyard. If you plant it well enough, you will not have to supplement their food. Of course, water should be provided, as well. They do need supplemental warmth during the colder months, which can be provided via a heated outdoor box or simply by bringing them inside and providing a heat lamp of some kind.

I've got it down now and it's pretty rewarding to sit outside and watch them all do their thing. Makes for a good conversation piece when guests come over.

#14 ·
Very cool! Even the babies look like angry old men... :)

How big do these get? One of my friend's neighbors got a tortoise as a pet. I think they said it was about 6" when they got it, and thought it was full grown. When I last saw it, it was about 15 years old, a good 20" around, and the kids would take rides on it... LOL I don't think it even noticed my 4 year old riding on it's shell. I've got pictures of "Victoria" on a hard drive somewhere, I need to dig them up. the rail-road tie enclosure they built for her was impressive. She was strong, and could push like a bulldozer. :)

#17 ·
Very Cool. I have about a 120lb Sulcata in my yard (fenced acre) that roams freely. Its a very cool low maintenance pet for my 3 1/2 year old son. And you are right it is sure is a conversation piece especially when we are in the back yard drinking cold ones and "tank" walks up to see whats going on.

#23 ·
previous pets. I miss my sulcata... would like to get another in the future. His name was Turbo and he free roamed until my fence was left open. He was a conversation piece around town for a couple weeks after Many sightings, but i was always a day late. He was on every telephone pole and all over Craigslist. Many calls of people saying... oh I saw that huge turtle crossing the road so I stopped and moved him to a field and sent him on his way!! I Never found him. From what I heard some ladies picked him up and took him home as we walked through someones yard during a garage sale early one saturday morning. My fear is that he was taken and dropped in a pond.

Three Toed Box Turtle

#26 ·
We have a few box turtles. My dad had several in a pen at his house . You could tap on the side and they would come running . I turned most of them lose at my farm when dad passed. I still put out food for them and see tracks where some come back to eat . The kids found 2 babies a while back in dads old turtle pen . They are cool pets that dont need alot of attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.