Patio Cover Build - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

jtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Pirate
Patio Cover Build

I decided to take on the task of building a 14x16 patio cover in my back yard. Summers are brutal out there hanging by the pool when there isn't an ounce of shade.

Last year, I tore out a large section of the old pea gravel slab and had a regular concrete slab poured. That stuff is just too hard on your feet. When I poured the new slab, I dug footers for my posts and installed a drain for any water that might collect under there. I have some pics of the slab being poured, but I can't locate them right now.

I will try to keep posting updates on my progress. It might take me a while to get it completely finished out.

Here are a couple of pics where I tore out part of the old slab and a waterfall that was oddly placed in the middle of the yard.

Here the slab is obviously completed and I have torn of the soffits abd cut the holes where the beams will butt up against the top plate on the back wall.

jtupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Law Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Law Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to PirateLaw Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Looks great so far. Why didn't you use all treated wood? From the picture the beams look like they are not treated!
Law Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

jtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Pirate
Installing the ceiling joists and cut the overhang off between the beams. Just about ready to start installing rafters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
Looks great so far. Why didn't you use all treated wood? From the picture the beams look like they are not treated!
When it's all said and done the beams and posts will be trimmed out and painted. The beams will be well under the overhang so, other than humidity, I really don't see any water getting to them.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
mas360
Registered Users-pm+

mas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Piratemas360 has been promoted to Pirate
Is this going to have a roof and shingles like the main building?

I am wondering about the two posts. Are they 4x4? is that structurally adequate to provide support for a full roof? how did you anchor the footings of the posts to the concrete?
mas360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

Yes, the cover will have a full roof and tie into the house structure. The posts are treated 4x4's and are achored to the slab with anchor bolts and stand off brackets. I sure hope they are structurally adequate.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas360 View Post
Is this going to have a roof and shingles like the main building?

I am wondering about the two posts. Are they 4x4? is that structurally adequate to provide support for a full roof? how did you anchor the footings of the posts to the concrete?
You really got me to thinking (read: worried) about this. I started looking around and got a lot of differing information, but the concensus seems to be anywhere between 4000 - 7000 punds, depending on species.

I have two of them and the other end is supported by the main building so I can't imagine I would go above that amount.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

Here are a couple of updated pictures. Rafters are up and I started to install the roof sheathing. I still need to build my gable overhang and I plan to get the sheathing finished this weekend so that I can get the shingles installed. I still need to install all of my hurricane straps too.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
juror81
Registered Users-pm+

juror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Piratejuror81 has been promoted to Pirate
Looking good. Thanks for sharing.
juror81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
I am not an expert. After looking at the pics those 4x4's are jumping out at me. I would add at least one more in the middle or replace with 6x6's. It does look nice though...

acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message