Patio Beam Question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

jtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Pirate
Patio Beam Question

I have a question for the experts. I am going to build a 14x16 patio cover on the back of the house. This will be tied into the main structure. It will extend 14' from the house abd will span 16' across. For the 16' beam, I plan to sandwich a piece of 1/2" plywood between two 2x12's. I plan to use joist hangers on the header where I tie the beams into the back of the house. The problem is I can't find a joist hanger that will accommodate two 2x12's with plywood sandwiched in between, unless I order it online. I can find one that will take just two 2 by's.

My question is this, how much load capacity am I giving up if I just use two 2x12's without the plywood sandwiched between? This is on the 14' span, not the 16'. Keep in mind this will be holding up a roof. I don't want it to sag later either.

Here is a pic of one of the spots where I will be tying into the main header.

[/URL]
jtupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

GT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to Pirate
I am not exactly sure I understand which beam you are talking about but that isn't a long span. Are you talking about the beams that frame the patio, then you will hang joist in between them? I have double 2x12's spaning 16' on my dock without a problem and the joist are single 2x8's.
GT11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

jtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Piratejtupper has been promoted to Pirate
I was afraid I didn't explain it very well. This pic is the main header that runs the length of the back of my house. You can see a window and my back door that goes out to the patio.

From this header I plan to mount a joist hanger which will support a beam which will be one side of my patio cover. I will do the same thing 16' down which will be the other side of the patio cover. These will be 14' long and mount to a post at each corner of the patio. Then, a 16' beam will span along the outside of the patio to each of the posts.

Again, the 16" beam will be two 2x12's with a 1/2" pc of plywood sandwiched between. I'm wondering if I can just use two 2x12's on the 14' span and forego the plywood between them. My concern is that it has to support the weight of the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
the hook
Registered Users-pm+

the hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Pirate
IMO, and I've only framed about 6 or 700 houses, the plywood, FOR THE MOST PART, is "just a spacer" to get to 3.5 inches...I have done solid ply headers and sure, it adds a little strength, but not that much...Just get a good exterior glue and then nail or screw the 2X12's good...

I'm surprised you can't find hangers for 3.5" though...You could go with a Micro-Lam/Paralam and they are either 1.75 or 3.5 and I use hangers all the time for them...I also use 3.5" wide floor trusses that have hangers. Check if you have a truss co in the area...
the hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hook View Post
IMO, and I've only framed about 6 or 700 houses, the plywood, FOR THE MOST PART, is "just a spacer" to get to 3.5 inches...I have done solid ply headers and sure, it adds a little strength, but not that much...Just get a good exterior glue and then nail or screw the 2X12's good...

I'm surprised you can't find hangers for 3.5" though...You could go with a Micro-Lam/Paralam and they are either 1.75 or 3.5 and I use hangers all the time for them...I also use 3.5" wide floor trusses that have hangers. Check if you have a truss co in the area...
Appreciate the input. I can find the hanger in 3.5", but I will have to order them. I have only looked at the box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc).

Should I just leave out the plywood on the 16' beam as well? Will it make any difference? I piocked up some liquid nail to use between the 2 by's. Will that work or should I use something else?

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

I was able to find the hangers I needed locally so I opted for the 2X12's with 1/2 plywood in between. I'm beginning the construction of the patio this weekend and will be installing the ceiling joists...which brings a new question...

I plan to use 2x6's for the ceiling joists spaced every 16". All it will hold is the ceiling material. There will be no storage above. Will 2X6's @16" be enough?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
yakPIRATE
Hunting white tail year round

yakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to PirateyakPIRATE has been promoted to Pirate
2x12 with no plywood is more than enough.
yakPIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
jtupper
Registered Users-pm+

On the ceiling joists...I forgot to mention that the span will be 14'.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Use #1 material. 2 each 2x12s will be fine. IIRC, the code allows #1 2x12 to span 16' as a ceiling joist.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
the hook
Registered Users-pm+

the hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Piratethe hook has been promoted to Pirate
OK, I just saw this...I just happened to wonder where you are putting the hangers for the 16' bm? On the end of the 14'??

Yes, 14' 2X6 should be fine, imo...With minimum sheathing or ceiling tile, it should be fine...You could run a row of blocking in the center or a strongback to help...
the hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message