First cod jigging trip this season - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
First cod jigging trip this season

Fishermen in the South are not familiar with cod jigging in the North.
Cod jigging is probably the origin of jigging dated back several hundred years. Cod jigging is very popular in New England year round and there are very few places in the world that 20- 50 fishermen jig together on a boat.
Here is my cod jigging report on the Frances Fleet out of Pt Judith, RI on 01-07.

Even it was not a slaughter, I enjoyed cod fishing on the Frances with fine other fishermen in very relaxed atmosphere in fine weather.
Cod were there, but they didn't cooperate except in early in the morning. The main body is yet to come as most cod caught were in dark color.
As I posted before, I observed that Solvkroken Stainless 9 oz worked better than other jigs in the morning. I was somewhat surprised not many fishermen sued diamond jigs which are traditional hot jigs around Block Island.
I didn't do well in early in the morning when bites were pretty hot as I tried to test several new jigs. I even used $35 Labo SL jig. 8*
However, I decided to stay with Labo SL jig as it should attract cod because of its viking jig style design. Indeed, I saw it worked.
Fortunately, I didn't lose the jig.
I did try squidding technique, but I didn't get any hit. Most hit came when I bounced bottom with jigs slowly.
As we had light wind and current, even 7 - 8 oz could hold bottom.
There are decent amount of mackerel near the bottom.
Cod are coming, but it wiil be very crowded this season as we don't have other alternatives thanks closure of seabass.
caught on expensive Labo LC jig

good action early in the morning.

ling on a jig

fishing in the snow

I enjoyed mackerel fishing briefly.

small pollack on a teaser hook

even bergal hit jigs. we had a nice 7- 8 lbs blackfish on a jig, but it was released due to closure of blackfish.

Varieties of fish caught on jigs
ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Swells
Registered Users-pm+

Swells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to Pirate
Where did ya go, Cox's Ledge?
Swells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swells View Post
Where did ya go, Cox's Ledge?
off Block Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
HEADSHAKER
Registered Users-pm+

HEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to PirateHEADSHAKER has been promoted to Pirate
Some how that iced over reel tells me NO WAY !
HEADSHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
ksong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADSHAKER View Post
Some how that iced over reel tells me NO WAY !
We go up to north to catch cod now, but we used to have great cod fishing off NJ/NY in winter years ago before cod didn't migrate to south anymore. Most cod boats were packed with fishermen even they fished in freezing weather. In 5 -10 minutes guides were frozen and we had to soak the rods in the water to defreeze guides from time to time.
It seems those days are gone forever.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
essayons75
Professional Salesman

essayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirate
Those Cod are one ugly fish. What are some of the others in the box?

Very cool and cold report!
essayons75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
ksong

Quote:
Originally Posted by essayons75 View Post
Those Cod are one ugly fish. What are some of the others in the box?

Very cool and cold report!
Those fishes you see in the cooler are ling ( not cobia), sea raven, bergal, boston mackerel and cod. Cod is not so ugly.
Here is a picutre of cod.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
essayons75
Professional Salesman

essayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirate
What's that on the top left that looks like a toad and what are those mini wahoo looking fish?
essayons75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
ksong

Quote:
Originally Posted by essayons75 View Post
What's that on the top left that looks like a toad and what are those mini wahoo looking fish?
They are sea raven and boston mackerel.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
BretABaker
Registered Users-pm+

BretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
the cod wont be able to come back to prior levels off NY/NJ until they take dogfish off the endangered species list.

did the boat get any wolffish?
BretABaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message