Scale Old West buildings - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Hobbies Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Surf Rodder
Registered Users-pm+

Surf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to Pirate
Scale Old West buildings

Having been laid off from an oil company some months ago, I have enjoyed listening to the radio (105.7) in my garage as I design and build old west buildings (1840' - 1880's or so). I typically use basswood, some times balsa. Anyone else with a similar interest?
Attached Images

Surf Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Surf Rodder
Registered Users-pm+

Surf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to PirateSurf Rodder has been promoted to Pirate
A few more pictures...
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Flyingvranch

Flyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to Pirate
Very nice! I see a lot of work in that set. I always wanted to build a scale replica of the Alamo for myself.
Flyingvranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Surf Rodder
Registered Users-pm+

FVR; interesting you'd mention The Alamo. Not saying it's a sign o me to do so, but I have thought three times this past week to do the same. I took very intentional pictures while in San Antonio in July of both The Alamo and of two small scale diorama's of the Alamo for that purpose. I'll attach a few (if I can find them):
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Mr. Saltwater
Registered Users-pm+

Mr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to Pirate
Those are COOL!!!

I always loved building things like that for history projects in school.Most realistic one I made was a fur trappers cabin. I remember it took forever filling up just half of the roof with split shingles hand cut from cedar saplings. Gopher skins looked exactly like miniature deer skins. Sculpey clay worked great for making figurines, tools, etc..
Mr. Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
Surf Rodder
Registered Users-pm+

Follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Saltwater View Post
Those are COOL!!!

I always loved building things like that for history projects in school.Most realistic one I made was a fur trappers cabin. I remember it took forever filling up just half of the roof with split shingles hand cut from cedar saplings. Gopher skins looked exactly like miniature deer skins. Sculpey clay worked great for making figurines, tools, etc..
I like the idea of creating my own figurines. I've carved such from soapstone and even done a couple in bronze (lost wax casting). I have some 'Squadron Fast Drying White Putty,' but have used it only for superficial building scar clean ups. Thanks for the idea. Do you have any pictures of what you did?

I'll attach a poor picture of the fourth piece I did. I created it after 'Jeremiah Johnson' and his beautiful native bride, Swan. I did a few animal skins for it.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
Surf Rodder
Registered Users-pm+

Musicians

My precious girlfriend is an excellent violinist; she teaches orchestra and performs with the Houston Simphoneta (spelling???). I created a building for her; something of a dinner/tavern that features musical performances. I'll attach one of the building and an image of the figurines I ordered online. After I received them I created a stage for their use.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Mr. Saltwater
Registered Users-pm+

Mr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to Pirate
I wish I still had some pics but I'm pretty sure they burned up in a house fire years ago. I always gave the models to my teachers who were tickled to have them.
I agree on sculpting your own figurines...takes a lot of work but really puts the final unique artistic touch to a creation.
Mr. Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Good one on 105.7 too!
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
driftwood
Registered Users-pm+

driftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Pirate
Great! Thanks for sharing!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message