2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Harvest Moon/ Flounder Run

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  TxHook'Em 
#1 ·
Harvest Moon and its relationship to triggering the annual flounder run.

This has brought several questions again about the moon’s effects and, in particular, the October or Harvest Moon. Since today is the full moon of October, let’s try to answer those questions, at least as to my understanding of the phenomenon.

The Harvest Moon is no ordinary full moon; it behaves in a special way. Throughout the year, the moon rises, on average, about 50 minutes later each day. Near the autumnal equinox, toward the end of September, the day-to-day difference in the local time of moonrise is only 30 minutes.

The moon will rise around sunset tonight and not long after sunset for the next few evenings.

That comes in handy for northern farmers who are working long days to harvest their crops before winter sets in. The extra dose of lighting afforded by the full moon of October is what gives the Harvest Moon its name.

Now, how does that affect fish? With the shorter periods of daylight and colder water temperatures, nature is sending a signal to prepare for winter by adding weight, in particular layers of fat. Fish start this fall feeding pattern in preparation for the winter, and the Harvest Moon allows extra lighting to feed longer.

Fish, like most non-nocturnal creatures, prefer lighted conditions, just not bright sunshine. This is opposed to total darkness. Feeding under a full moon creates a sense of safety and is generally much more pleasant. Anglers who fish at night prefer the full moon. Flounder gigging is usually better under such conditions as well.

During the warm months, fish will feed at night during this moon phase and tend to be dormant during daylight hours, especially during the first part of the day. During the full moons of the fall months, particularly October and November, fish will feed all day long, as they are racing against time to gain weight.

Can you expect to see action 24 hours each day during this period? No, however, the odds of catching fish are much greater at any point during the day or night than at any other time of year.

See less See more
#3 ·
Troutkiller that was a great read. Just yesterday evening I was dove hunting and it was quite slow. I noticed the moon shinning bright it was already time to stop hunting. I made the comment "the moon is probably making them fly really late". Now I know why. Thanks!

I also said I would stay home this weekend, you might get me in trouble, because now I am not so sure. LOL

#15 ·
Who ever wrote that article is dead wrong about gigging being better under a full moon.
When the moon is that brite the don't have to come in so shallow to see there food so they can stay a little deeper. They can also see you much easier with a full moon no mater what direction you approach them from.

On little to no moon nights they can be so shallow I have seen there backs out of the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.