Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
FWM0103
Registered Users-pm+

FWM0103 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
FG Knot

Anyone here know how to successfully tie the FG Knot?

I've been trying for a while, all the different ways. Success rate is not good, the mono either slips through the braid or snaps in the knot. I feel like it's something simple the knot looks right before applying tension to finish the knot.

I'd like to master this knot instead of it being the other way around.
FWM0103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
johnsons1480
Registered Users-pm+

johnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Pirate
Two videos for you
This first one is the best video I've seen on how to tie the actual knot. Watch it, but watch the second one before you tie the knot.

The second video shows the Rizzuto finish, which I have found works far better than the half hitch knots described in the first video
johnsons1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Saltwater Soul
Love to fish!

Saltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to Pirate
I've been using it with good success. With my eyes getting weaker with aging, it is one of the knots that I seem to be able to do reliably in the field.

You do need to be careful to keep it all tight or it will not cinch down on the leader material well. I also find that some braid/mono combinations are more prone to slippage so are more challenging. That said, I can always get them to work and always test well before putting to use. Have not had one fail yet.

I'll have to look into that Rizzuto finish and try it. Been using the half-hitches to date.
Saltwater Soul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
johnsons1480
Registered Users-pm+

johnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Pirate
I re-read your original post. If the braid is slipping off of the mono, you're probably not keeping enough tension on the knot through tying it. The first video I posted addresses how to do that. When you say your mono is breaking off in the knot, that's odd to me because I've never seen that. Two things that may be causing problems. First, your mono should be of a higher test than the braid. you didn't mention the test weights in your OP, just mentioning it now in case that's the issue. Second, your mono may be old and in need of replacement. I use 25 lb mono or fluoro for the leader material, and I would have a really tough time breaking that while pulling the knot tight.
johnsons1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
The only time an FG failed on me was due to user error. I was not putting enough tension in the knot at the finish. Now my knots never fail and the leaders break first. I also found that the Rizutto finish works well.

I looked for knot tying tensioners online and was shocked at how expensive they are. I saw a set from Australia for ~$75! Braid is tough on the hands when cinching that FG knot tight. All you need are small cylindrical objects to wrap line around and pull on. I was thinking of using 2 small 2.5 lb barbells found in the workout section at Academy. I think those small dumbbells are used by ladies in their workouts. They’re fist sized, rubber coated, and they seem like a good option.

One other tip....I use a safety pin as my anchor point. Tie the braid to the back loop of the pin and attach the pin to your belt loop or shirt. I use the pins from tags on my shirts that come from the cleaners.

Last edited by habanerojooz; 07-15-2018 at 10:13 AM.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Bill S
Registered Users-pm+

Bill S has disabled reputation
FG knot

To avoid slippage the knot must have significant tension put on it to get a proper set of the strands. Once the knot is done with a couple of half hitches it must be tightened. Do not trim tag ends yet. With braid you cannot do it bare handed. If you do not have tensioner rods use two short wooden dowels to wrap the leader in one hand and the braid in the other. Wet knot with spit and put a fair amount of tension on it. You will actually see it become more translucent. Then trim leader and finish the knot with the Rizzuto finish knot. I leave about 3/8" of braid hanging loose after the Rizzuto. That way I can occasionally check and make sure nothing has come loose. Done this way it will not slip and is a very strong and smooth knot.

Bill
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
FWM0103
Registered Users-pm+

FWM0103 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks for your help!!!

The knot WORKED and I managed to tie the Rizzuto Finish.

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!!!
FWM0103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Old 07-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
That "Rizzuto" finish is nothing more than the whip finish that is used (or should be) to finish a Bimini twist, a Huffnagle, and a Slim beauty knot.....something that we have been doing for decades. That said, it is also the very best video and demonstration of that finish technique, so I am going to make my fly fishing friends aware of it.

Incidentally, has anybody tried either of those 2 knots above, for the same purpose as the FG? Either the Huffnagle or Slim beauty can be tied in 1/4 of the time as the FG, and I'd hate to have to do all that in a rocking boat.

However, I think the FG is a great knot and I hope someone goes on to experiment on how it might be used in offshore applications....like for connecting the braid backing to a mono top-shot on conventional reels.
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #10
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
FG knot in offshore applications? Notice this guy is using the FG knot on bigger class stuff. This is the video where I first learned the FG knot with a Rizzutto finish. This is also where I got the idea to use line tensioners, even with the smaller inshore lines that I use.

http://youtu.be/8rnZiyRUG9c
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message