Cancun Area Flyfishing - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
johnny astro
Wishin I was Fishin

johnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Pirate
Cancun Area Flyfishing

Hey guys...any recommendations for a guide for fly fishing the backside of Cancun? Headed down in 1.5 weeks for 5 days and looking for a morning session while the wife sleeps in. thanks 2coolers...Johnny
johnny astro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Kewlbreeze
Kewlbreeze

Kewlbreeze is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
You can probably get a guide thru your hotel.

Years ago I went to Cancun and used the local hotel for a guide....caught baby tarpon and jacks. Had a good time. Good equipment and good guide.

Dennis
Kewlbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
1fisher77316
Registered Users-pm+

1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate
A few years back we fished the Lagoon behind Cancun with a guide named "Robert". Caught a mixed bag of barracuda, snook and tarpon. Great fishing! We were using standard trout tackle I brought from home. Snook on bass assassins and the rest on Top Dog Jrs in trout color. The area was definitely fishable with flies but we were blind casting. We never saw any of the fish we caught. We actually did the trip twice. Just be prepared for the fact that the Lagoon is where they release the treated sewer water. for Cancun. We were there in July and August. Good luck! If I remember right we found the guide by going to the area of the offshore marinas and asking for a recomendation.
Tight lines!
1fisher77316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
elsillo
Registered Users-pm+

elsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateerelsillo has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I fished once with https://www.cancuntarponfishing.com/ But honestly I did not have a good experience with the guide I was assigned.

I believe there are only 2 "companies" that do fly trips in the Cancun Bay.
elsillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
If I was going to seriously fly fish that area, I would book a trip down to Pesca Maya or one of the other established lodges down on Punta Allen. You can either stay down there or do a one day trip from your resort. The road from Tulum to Punta Allen is interesting.
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
There is very good fishing for bonefish, permit and small tarpon, to the north of Cancun, in an area called Isla Blanca. LOTS closer than Tulum/Punta Allen area! I went up there and found a guide, apart from the lodges that fish the area and got a significantly reduced price. But most of the guides are associated with them because they can't afford their own boats. One fellow I met, Miguel, speaks excellent English but I never fished with him. I might have his phone number in my Mexican phone and I'll look.

I have heard more than one report from the Ascension Bay area, saying that there are plenty of fish down there, but they won't eat flies anymore......I am thinking because they have been pressured too much, as all the guides go to the same spots, day after day after day, etc. Food for thought, FWIW.

Last edited by Permit Rat; 06-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
johnny astro
Wishin I was Fishin

johnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Piratejohnny astro has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks!

Guys...thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciate it! Headed down tomorrow. Options will be limited due to time constraints but fingers crossed I'm able to slip away. Will post up if I get lucky.

Thanks again!

Johnny
johnny astro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
Guess I forgot to post Miguel's phone number. It's about 10 years old, so there's no telling. 998-155-7948
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Bruce J
Registered Users-pm+

Bruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to Pirate
It’s been 10+ years or me too, but had a really good trip with Enrique Catzin in the Isla Blanca area. He picked me up from my Cancun hotel and we drove about 30-40 minutes to his boat. We had a great day catching tarpon, snook, and barracuda. Had two shots at permit too. I have no idea if he still guides, but the phone number I had for him at the time is 011-52-998-845-2180.
Bruce J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message