Our first corn of the 2019 season - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Our first corn of the 2019 season

The first corn of the season is always special to us. I plant Honey Select triple sweet for its superior taste and "eat-ability" . My first planting was April 1 this year and I followed that up on May 1 and June 1 with successive plantings which should enable continuous supply of fresh corn all the way to Sept.

I know friend Jackie already has been eating his Honey Select but mine got off to a slow start with the frost and wet weather. Today will make up for that as we will have fresh corn, fresh tomatoes, and fresh asparagus beans for lunch...all from the garden.

IMO, sweet corn is the most rewarding veggie one can grow in the home garden in terms of taste advantage over store bought products. You might get them on special at 5 for a $1 but I guarantee they will not taste anything near as good as these.
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
Looks great Lark!

I haven't been growing corn because I've always worried about Coons climbing the fence and wrecking it. I've had to do some electrifying because of the Black Bears, so that should keep the Coons out too. I'll have to look and see if I can still find some good variety of seed.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Old sailor
Registered Users-pm+

Old sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to PirateOld sailor has been promoted to Pirate
I had my first on Wed. couldn't pass up the deal 10 for $1.00.
Old sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hanks View Post
Looks great Lark!

I haven't been growing corn because I've always worried about Coons climbing the fence and wrecking it. I've had to do some electrifying because of the Black Bears, so that should keep the Coons out too. I'll have to look and see if I can still find some good variety of seed.
I'd guess solving the bear problem goes a long ways to also taking care of the coons. Do you have enough growing season left this year after getting seeds?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
https://www.ufseeds.com/learning/pla...ting-calendar/

Probably not, at least for the northern part of Minnesota.
karstopo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
jackieblue
Registered Users-pm+

jackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Piratejackieblue has been promoted to Pirate
Oh man we have frozen over 100 ears, I canned 9 pints of cream corn with a little habanero peppers in it today. We eat it fresh 3-5 days a week. I eat it daily in the field just shuck it and eat it. Best corn I've ever had period.
I also have 3 rows in the North 40 that are about 15-18 inches and plan to plant another few rows the end of the month. Thanks Meadowlark for telling me about this corn.
jackieblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #7
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
I'd guess solving the bear problem goes a long ways to also taking care of the coons. Do you have enough growing season left this year after getting seeds?
It's a roll of the dice. I'm in zone 3. As shown in Karstopo's attachment, corn is always an iffy deal in that zone. Our average last frost date was only about 2 weeks ago. The soil is still cool so I really haven't lost all that much growing time.

Our spring has been very cool. The last 2 days haven't even made it to 60 degrees, and nights in the low to mid 40s. The next week is forecast to continue to be cool. I"ll probably still plant a few of the seeds that I bought today because they are a fairly early variety. If the summer gets above average warm, I might get corn. Especially if the fall is warm, and we don't get an early frost.

Farmer's that grow field corn up here always have a back up plan for making silage for the cows if the summer is too cool.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieblue View Post
Oh man we have frozen over 100 ears, I canned 9 pints of cream corn with a little habanero peppers in it today. We eat it fresh 3-5 days a week. I eat it daily in the field just shuck it and eat it. Best corn I've ever had period....
It just can't be beat fresh.