2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Planer recommendation

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bocephus 
#1 ·
I have some rough sawn pecan boards my grandpa had cut many years ago. Looking a recommendation for a reasonable priced planer to make my folks(who lost most their stuff to harvey) a new table.

I know pecan gets harder than can be but still want to try and work with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Well satisfied with my 12 1/2" Delta, the DeWalt seems to be popular also. Big point on any planer is lot of infeed and outfeed table (or support) to minimize snipe. I prefer table for continuous support. Light cuts and tied to a high-suction dust collctor--my Delta will recycle chips and dent or roughen the planed surface. If this is a one-time program, might look for a cabinet shop with planer or drum sander that would run them for you

#3 ·
Look at the newer spiral cutter head units, unless you going to plane a lot of wood you might be better off paying a shop to handle it for you.

John

#5 ·
Clarks Hardwoods in the Heights does custom mill work. You might give them a call to see how much they would charge to plane the boards for you.

I was over there last week getting some Walnut lumber for a table. That place is like a candy store for woodworkers. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.