5th Wheel Hitch? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
prophead
Registered Users-pm+

prophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
5th Wheel Hitch?

What features should I look to spend money on a 5th wheel hitch? I'm looking for a 5th wheel but need a hitch first to put on my Ram 2500 short bed. Any particular brands that are a good value? Thanks.
prophead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
I'm pulling a 7,600 pound (empty) 5th with a Curt 20k hitch and a GMC 2500HD. The Curt 20k has shock absorbers and tilts. If you have the really short bed you may want the Pull Rite slider.
I'm also planning on buying a 1 ton. I'm very close to my legal capacity on the 2500.
Like said above, look very closely at your numbers. By the time you load it up you may be surprised. I went up almost 2,000 pounds.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
H2
Registered Users-pm+

H2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTY FIRST View Post
For a short bed pickup I highly recommend a PullRite SuperGlide hitch. See: http://www.pullrite.com/

These hitches slide automatically so when you make a sharp turn, or back up, your trailer does not hit the back of your truck cab, an expensive mistake to say the least.

There are some other hitches that are manual sliders, but you have to remember to stop the truck, get out, and manually unlock the hitch. The first time you forget, or turn sharper than you thought you would, well, you will wish you paid a few dollars more for a SuperGlide.

The hitch capacity will depend on the weight of the trailer you will be pulling.

When you go to figure the trailer weight, look at the trailer's GVWR and count that as the trailer weight. The empty trailer weight is meaningless, as most trailers will be near or at maximum GVWR weight by the time you are loaded with all gear and equipment.

With a 2500 series, your truck will be a bit limited in how much fifth wheel it can tow. Just do your homework and don't exceed any of the capacities.

What I have on mine, you won't be sorry.^
H2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
prophead
Registered Users-pm+

prophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateerprophead has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
And approx how much do i budget for installation? Any recommendations? I'm in the Tomball area north of Houston.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
H2
Registered Users-pm+

H2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to PirateH2 has been promoted to Pirate
Mine cost $300 to install .
H2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Try these folks:
http://www.discounthitches.com/
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
prophead
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks guys & thanks to Cliff for an awesome deal! Looking forward to doing a little fishing with you. Pleasure meeting you. Now if I could find a good deal on the install, best I've found so far is $250.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
CJ46
Houston/POC

CJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to PirateCJ46 has been promoted to Pirate
Your welcome Pete, hope we can wet a line in the next couple of weeks. That Smarty should keep you grinning ear to ear whenever you fire up that 5.9.

It was a pleasure doing business with you!!

Cliff
CJ46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message