Snapper Season - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #21
roundman
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "

roundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirate
Final Rule to Increase the Annual Catch Target for the Red Snapper For-hire Component

KEY MESSAGE:

NOAA Fisheries announces a final rule to maintain a reduced buffer between the recreational for hire component annual catch limit (ACL) and recreational annual catch target (ACT) for Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) red snapper. The reduced buffer would result in an increased ACT, which determines the length of the federal for-hire fishing season.
WHEN RULE WILL TAKE EFFECT:

• The rule will be effective March 23, 2020.
WHAT THIS MEANS:

• The current ACL for the federal for-hire component is 3.130 million pounds.
  • For 2019, the buffer between the ACL and the ACT was temporarily set at 9%.
  • If this final rule were not implemented, the buffer between the federal for-hire ACL and ACT would be 20%, resulting in an ACT of 2.504 million pounds for 2020.
  • The final rule continues the 9% buffer, resulting in an ACT of 2.848 million pounds.
  • The ACT is used to estimate the federal for-hire component season length.
  • These 344,000 extra pounds will likely add 7-8 days to the 2020 season.
  • NOAA Fisheries will be announcing the 2020 federal for-hire component season soon.
roundman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #22
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Would hope that TPWD would consider opening snapper season Saturday May 23rd this year, as to get memorial day into the season instead of waiting until Monday June 1st.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #23
jamesw
Registered Users-pm+

jamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Pirate
I have a big boat so that would work great for me.

However I would actually support adding the extra days at the end of the season as I doubt there will be great fishing weather for smaller boats May 23rd-June 1.

Cheers
James
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #24
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw View Post

However I would actually support adding the extra days at the end of the season as I doubt there will be great fishing weather for smaller boats May 23rd-June 1.

Cheers
James
I agree. It won't happen, but I would vote for a July 1 start date. Better weather, miss Memorial Day but get Labor Day, and get some overlap with amberjack season which should open August 1st.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #25
Momma's Worry
Registered Users-pm+

Momma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to Pirate
Snapper/Amberjack Wars ....2020

do not expect any changes ...then you will not be disappointed
Momma's Worry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #26
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw View Post

Cheers
James
The current way the system is set up almost impossible to set an end date before season starts. The end date of the season is based on the catch rate for that year, avg of what is being caught is used to figure the end date. They will give an estimated end date, but chances are high just like last year it will change.

They can easily move the start date, and if weather is horrible and no one gets to fish guess what, it does not effect when the season will end.

Kinda like deer season starts, be smarter and better if they started the REC snapper season on a Saturday, not a Monday. I would prefer a Friday as it is easy for me to sneak out when I want too, but know for the majority it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
I agree. It won't happen, but I would vote for a July 1 start date. Better weather, miss Memorial Day but get Labor Day, and get some overlap with amberjack season which should open August 1st.
This could be possible, but would expect TPWD would want input from REC fishermen before making such a large change in the start date. If you email them and ask, they may put it up for discussion in the yearly scoping meetings, or as far as an online vote.

But I would hope that very soon the season will start Saturday before memorial day and run thru labor day. This would be the perfect red snapper season for RECs.

Last edited by Jolly Roger; 02-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #27
Momma's Worry
Registered Users-pm+

Momma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to Pirate
Snapper Wars ....2020

IMO...changing the June 1st opener is a worn out topic......it has already been argued for and against ..........and is set
Momma's Worry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #28
keywest244
Registered Users-pm+

keywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
any recent news....I've searched TP&W website but no mention of a season. Anyone with contacts within department hearing when they will even announce the season. I did send them an email this morning inquiring.
keywest244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #29
LL42L
Registered Users-pm+

LL42L is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Allan Scott View Post
I’ve been to several fisheries management meetings. My layman’s takeaway is that if you catch more snapper you get more snapper. So, Florida has thousands of charter and recreational boats catching tons of snapper. The assumption is that there must be more snapper in Florida than Texas because more are caught. Go figure. Circular reasoning it seems.

As I understand it, State of Texas can regulate the snapper season dates but must still stay within the Federal allocation. If they go over the allocation there is a reduction the next year.
Thx.
I had just guessed it was because we have State access all year long. So they were only throwing us a bone, by letting us have a few "Federal" snappers in the summer. And yes, a lot of FL has year round access, but I've fished there and swear to you guys, when I told them to stop in 60' over a mark and dropped down a squid and pulled up an 8# ARS, the locals on the boat (their boat mind you) asked, "what is that?"..."is it any good to eat?"...No Lie.
Anyway- I don't give a rat's *** when season starts or ends, as long as we get more than 28 days.
LL42L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 05:55 AM   #30
keywest244
Registered Users-pm+

keywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
finally got a reply yesterday (3/23) to one of my emails to TP&W:

We hope to have dates to announce within the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Carly Montez
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
keywest244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message