My first blue! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-28-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
Bill C
Registered Users-pm+

Bill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to Pirate
My first blue!

I fished the Thumper out of Golfito, CR on a multi-day shared charter that was a hoot. The owner, the captain, and the crew were great and the guys I was fishing with were a lot of fun.

Harry Glah, the owner, met me at the airport and put me up on the boat my first night in Golfito before our departure the next evening. He also offered his duplex as a place to stay for a few days after we got back in so there were no lodging costs for the trip. That was a real bonus.

The Thumper is a 60’ Mikelson whose owner and captain are passionate about their marlin fishing. The charter was a 4 night 3 day fishing trip to offshore FADs. Even though water temps were not the best we averaged double digit marlin in the spread everyday, with sailfish thrown in from time to time for a little variety.

I was able to get my first blue on day one then had the “misfortune” of having sails hook-up on my turns at bat until the last day when I picked up a second blue.

Golfito is a small fishing village inshore of the Oso Peninsula in southern Costa Rica. I can’t speak to the nightlife aspects of the place because I was focused on fishing but the country was beautiful, the folks were friendly, and the food was good.

Here is a link to Thumper’s website if anyone wants to look them over:

https://thumperbluewater.com

I’m going to do my best to get back down there with them again. I found that catching blue marlin is like eating peanuts-once you start you just don’t want to stop.

Here’s a few photos from the trip.
Attached Images

Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
justhookit
Get a reel job - go fishing!

justhookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Piratejusthookit has been promoted to Pirate
Congrats. If you do make it down again try to do it in June or July as those months tend to have the best bite by far. We’ve done ok in May, pretty good in August, and then mostly ok again September thru December. Had an epic trip a few Januarys ago but have never done well in Feb Mar or Apr.
As to Golfito, you didn’t miss any nightlife because there really isn’t any. Just hanging out at Banana Bay and Fish Hook marinas, or go to Casa Roland which is a really nice hotel and completely out of place in Golfito.
justhookit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2020, 01:05 AM   #3
TXBoatWhisperer
Registered Users-pm+

TXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to PirateTXBoatWhisperer has been promoted to Pirate
That's awesome, brosito! Sounds like a one of a kind trip. I surfed Pavones once at 12ft plus for 3 days. Radical place in the world!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
TXBoatWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Calmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to Pirate
That looks like my kind of adventure. Awesome.
Calmday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Nice Blue! Looks like a top notch outfit.
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Bill C
Registered Users-pm+

Bill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks guys. I’ve fished with lots of captains over the year- US, Mexico, Hawaii, Australia, and now Costa Rica-and this was the most focused, professional captain and owner I’ve ever been out with. It was a lot of fun. Good people, food and lots of fish, I’m not sure how it gets better.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Bill C
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBoatWhisperer View Post
That's awesome, brosito! Sounds like a one of a kind trip. I surfed Pavones once at 12ft plus for 3 days. Radical place in the world!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Pavones is where I caught my first rooster. I’m no surfer but it looked like under the right conditions it would be a great place to surf. 12 footers sounds like a big challenge to me.