Try a Benelli shotgun today... - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2020, 09:08 PM   #11
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
I guess we won't be shooting together. I lived near Lake Geneva for a short time about ten years ago...in the Summer. Great State for fishing. regards, rich
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon ??

what's this 60/40 etc talk about??? i'm shooting a Winchester Orion with the 26 inch barrel. screw in chokes.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
richg99
richg99

richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
I am just learning. but,

if you "pattern" the shot stream from any shotgun, it may perfectly circle your "target"....i.e. bullseye or just a dot on white piece of paper....the pellet pattern would be equidistant on all sides of the DOT. That would be called 50/50. 50/50, supposedly, works best for Skeet and many hunting situations.

On the other hand, if your gun was set up to shoot for Trap, you might want your shot pattern to be above the DOT. Maybe as much as 70/30, or more. Seventy percent of the pellets would wind up ABOVE the DOT; with 30% of them below the DOT.

That higher shot pattern is often considered best to hit the constantly rising Trap Clay Pigeon better.

If you shot the same rising pigeon with a 50/50 set-up gun, you'd have to lose sight of the target/clay pigeon momentarily because you'd cover the clay with the barrel. If you didn't cover the clay pigeon with your barrel, you wouldn't be aiming Above the rising target.

Trap guys talk a lot about "floating the bird". Which seems to mean that they are aiming at the base or "feet" of the clay pigeon, yet their pellets will hit the bird while it is rising. That is the effect of a 70/30 or 80/20 shot setup. They never lose site of the clay pigeon.

From my reading (remember, I have only a few dozen outings under my old belt at this time)...the higher patterns are accomplished by using the rail on top of the gun. If that rail is sloping down; and the shooter is "aiming" Down the rail/ramp, the gun's barrel is actually pointing slightly upwards.

Some guns come with adjustable rails, for the very purpose to allow for a 50/50; 60./40; 70/30; 80/20 pattern, depending on the shooter's perceived needs.

Trap seems to be the one clay sport that requires more specialization than skeet, or Sporting Clays.

Remember, this is almost the Blind leading the Blind.
rich

Last edited by richg99; 08-04-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #14
richg99
richg99

This no doubt explains the theory far better than I can. rich

https://sites.google.com/site/claysh.../pointofimpact