2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Trailer Brake Advice

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sgrem 
#1 ·
Guys I needs some advice on adding brakes to my tandem axle boat trailer. Flanges are there.... I need to know what my life expectency will be for the brakes. I use the boat 60/40 freshwater/saltwater. I have read that the dacromet breaks will disentigrate in about 2 years if I wash them every load and launch. I also read that the SS/Dacromet kits that have a stainless caliper will hold up much longer. I was also informed that the complete stainless will last several years.....with the caveat that the stainless rotors will warp very quickly. The kit Im looking at has only stainless calipers the rest is dacromet:

https://www.easternmarine.com/kodiak-10in-trailer-disc-brake-assy-dacromet-ss-2rcm10dacss

I have always thought the boat would tow better with brakes but in Texas its not required for my GVW. My Tundra dont care either, but If I take it out of TX to LA, MS, AL, or FL breaks are required for 3000 lb and up. I have a trip planned in July to FL with boat in tow. Anyone with real world experience on brake longevity and component material please school me before I drop $700 on brakes, lines, and actuator. Any help appreciated.

#3 ·
I tow boats cross country and all over the coast. In 25 years I have yet to be asked about trailer brakes while towing a boat.

Having said that if you want them go full stainless and plan for the rebuild and maintenance needed...which will be often. Anything not stainless will be an annual maintenance/replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.