Interesting article on Bass's memory. - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
I agree re taking Some fish out. I have access to an 8 acre pond. No one take any bass out. Now all of the fish are small.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting article on Bass's memory.

I used to fish a pond that was just off the very headwaters of Kickapoo creek. It was part of a girls wilderness camp where o worked. To my knowledge I was the only person to fish it.
It was about 100 yards wide at the dam and quickly narrowed down in about 200 yards to the small creek it was made on.
I only caught largemouth of all different sizes. I would catch many bass in the four to six pound range in a year’s time of fishing it. Every bass in it had a discolored patch of a few scales on its back. I tried to catch sunfish and could not find any, there were small schools of fathead minnows in the shallows.
A spinner bait waked on top as slow as I could reel it was the killer retrieve.
I really think the bass there ate their spawn for the majority of of their food.
It was the most unusual bass pond I ever fished. And it would yield yet another good fish I had not seen before on a regular basis.
The pond was always muddy, and a shower that made some runoff would light them up!
I never kept any fish from that pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
I agree re taking Some fish out. I have access to an 8 acre pond. No one take any bass out. Now all of the fish are small.
How much are they feeding them?
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
No feeding other than the naturally occurring bluegills. No stocking. No cover. No weeds. Colored dye added often so no weeds grow. Most of the 25 owners want a swimming pool instead of a lake.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by photofishin View Post
you can use that analogy with almost any fish...that doesn't mean they don't taste good and that good conservation won't replace that bass/crappie/catfish/red snapper etc. that you just had for dinner. I'm all for catch and release...but the population explodes when it's not kept in check. When there's more competition for forage, bass tend to grow smaller as they don't eat as well. It's a delicate balance.
I'd go with that, except for the experience of the first guys to fish Gibbons Creek or Lake Fork when they first opened to the public.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't give their eye teeth to be the first one to fish a large body of water that's been managed by Mother Nature for decades.

I'm not against keeping a few occasional fish for dinner. But I've run into way too many guys whose goal is to keep a limit each and every time they hit the water.

The first time I read about this topic, it was in relation to Yellowstone. I forget the exact numbers, but they did a survey and found (for example) 50 fish living per mile of river. Then they looked at angler surveys and found that anglers reported catching and releasing 250 fish per mile, meaning that the average fish was caught and released 5 times a year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to cipher those numbers.

Until I ran across that information over 20 years ago, I had this perception of massive pool of fish and anglers only interacting with a small portion of them. The reality is that just about every (freshwater) sport fish has a run-in with an angler in a given year, and some of them many times over. Which explains why fishing at Gibbons and Fork are nothing like what they were on those first magic months.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
I'd go with that, except for the experience of the first guys to fish Gibbons Creek or Lake Fork when they first opened to the public.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't give their eye teeth to be the first one to fish a large body of water that's been managed by Mother Nature for decades.

I'm not against keeping a few occasional fish for dinner. But I've run into way too many guys whose goal is to keep a limit each and every time they hit the water.

The first time I read about this topic, it was in relation to Yellowstone. I forget the exact numbers, but they did a survey and found (for example) 50 fish living per mile of river. Then they looked at angler surveys and found that anglers reported catching and releasing 250 fish per mile, meaning that the average fish was caught and released 5 times a year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to cipher those numbers.

Until I ran across that information over 20 years ago, I had this perception of massive pool of fish and anglers only interacting with a small portion of them. The reality is that just about every (freshwater) sport fish has a run-in with an angler in a given year, and some of them many times over. Which explains why fishing at Gibbons and Fork are nothing like what they were on those first magic months.
Gibbons is an anomaly...other than that first fishing show, and a lake record, that lake has been subpar ever since. Fork continues to produce monster fish despite being one of the most highly pressured lakes in the country. Catch and release is the norm in the bass world and has been for 30 years. Nobody I know keeps their limit of bass for eating every time they hit the lake, primarily in Texas because there are SO many other better eating fish. I still go to proper conservation requires keeping some of the fish to keep a healthy fishery.
photofishin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #17
impulse
'81 Aggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofishin View Post
Gibbons is an anomaly...other than that first fishing show, and a lake record, that lake has been subpar ever since. Fork continues to produce monster fish despite being one of the most highly pressured lakes in the country. Catch and release is the norm in the bass world and has been for 30 years. Nobody I know keeps their limit of bass for eating every time they hit the lake, primarily in Texas because there are SO many other better eating fish. I still go to proper conservation requires keeping some of the fish to keep a healthy fishery.
We're not as far apart as this exchange may indicate.

I suspect the reason that Lake Fork holds up year after year is because of the reverse slot limit where you can only keep bass up to 16" and one trophy over 24" a day. If nothing else, it discourages meat fishermen in favor of other water.

Catch and release may be the new norm, and I'm happy to see that. But I've known a lot of bass fishermen through the years (partly through my ex's family place on the Trinity River) who keep everything they're legally entitled to keep. Some of them even double dipped, and kept their possession limit by dumping their morning catch back at the fish camp, then going back out after lunch.

In fact, I was pleased that even back in the '80s when I could first afford to fish with a bass guide, they encouraged catch and release, instead of the layout of a few dozen dead fish we see so often with the saltwater guides- even in 2019. I'm hoping that C-P-R ethic will catch on in the bays, as well.

I don't mind keeping this discussion going, if only so that someone looking a new caught bass in the eye stops to think that it may be caught up to 15 times in a year. But only if he releases it.

Edit: I have to admit, deep fried bass fillets with hush puppies and fries is one of my favorite eating fish. But I pick up some fillets on my way home- usually tilapia or catfish. So my $150 day trip ($30 of economic activity per legal bass, BTW) becomes a $156 day trip. And all my bass are released to be caught again.

Last edited by impulse; 09-25-2019 at 09:54 PM.