5 trout limit discussion - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #41
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
I left out redfish. At high tide we approach the shoreline and either sling lures or set out four rods with pinfish or mullet. Here's a fish caught this Monday, a keeper. Had to release another that was 27.5 inches. One half inch too big. Gulf was slick and the sky turned sunny, though it was a chilly boat ride. The redfish bag limit is one, there is no real hatchery program to speak of. Back at the ramp we talked to another jonboat crew, they had five decent trout caught on Sebile Stick Shads, their favorite lure.
Attached Images

Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #42
Jaysand247
Registered Users-pm+

Jaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
I left out redfish. At high tide we approach the shoreline and either sling lures or set out four rods with pinfish or mullet. Here's a fish caught this Monday, a keeper. Had to release another that was 27.5 inches. One half inch too big. Gulf was slick and the sky turned sunny, though it was a chilly boat ride. The redfish bag limit is one, there is no real hatchery program to speak of. Back at the ramp we talked to another jonboat crew, they had five decent trout caught on Sebile Stick Shads, their favorite lure.
Pretty fish ..
Jaysand247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #43
Flounder Face
southern paralichthys lethostigma

Flounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to Pirate
Beautiful fish indeed.
Flounder Face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #44
pickn'fish
Registered Users-pm+

pickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELWASH View Post
For the 5 fish limit. I think its a good proactive approach with all the fresh water we have seen over the last several years and the expected population to grow several million over the next couple years in the Houston, Galveston area. I have a passion for targeting trophy trout. So I very seldom keep them unless it's not going to survive."
I've released most of my fish since 2010. Often, all fish were released... Especially, since I retired a couple years ago. And, ALL trout over 20" are released...
If cutting limits in half adds to the populations, I, heartily, support it. If it increases length/weight, so much the better!..
It's a "discussion", personal opinions are warranted...
pickn'fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #45
schoalbeast101
Registered Users-pm+

schoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirate
First off I hardly fished in 2018 due to boat motor issues, bad weather, and working on my yard and house (daughter's wedding January 12th). So for 2018 I didn't catch that many fish and when I did I fished in the 5 fish limit area. Now regarding the Galveston trout fishery there seems to be differing opinions on the state of the fishery. TPWD per 2 Chronicle articles claims the fishery is healthy. If you talk to and read the guides take there is differing opinions there as well. 2 well respected Galveston guides have been writing for over a year that the fishery has suffered due to the 2015, 2016,2017,2018 flow of fresh water from the Trinity Bay area. Also oyster reef habitat which is critical in the Galveston area has suffered from many things that include droughts, too much fresh water and Hurricanes Ike and Harvey. I personally witnessed the number of above average trout that were killed during the summers of 2015 and 2016. I did 4 trips to East Galveston Bay those 2 years and the size and amount of trout taken off certain reefs was staggering. You didn't have to throw live bait. The bottom line is this, all those fish that were pushed into East Bay were stacked like cord wood on deeper reefs and they got hammered by everyone. Combine this with the reef loses and there are going to be less quality fish then before. Given these circumstances I believe going to a 5 fish limit for a determined amount of time would be very beneficial for everyone so the fishery can recover. The problem I have is that the limit will go to 5 and stay there until the end of time. I have at least 4 family fish fry's a year (15 to 25 people). We either eat small tank caught bass, white bass, trout, or black drum. I have some friends I fish with that don't keep many fish so when we fished in Galveston it was a little easier for 3 people to catch 30 trout and I was pretty much set having those fish in my freezer. By the way I freeze my fish in gallon zip lock baggies in water putting about 5 trout in each bag. They can be kept for at least a year going this. Anyway, my 2 cents.
schoalbeast101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #46
DUKFVR2
Registered Users-pm+

DUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to Pirate
All for the 5 fish limit & rarely keep more,unless someone in the family ask me to.
DUKFVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #47
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
I disagree about giving up the right to keep 10. Yes I rarely do but with the state once you give up the right we will never get it back.

Redfish are everywhere now and you have not seen them change the limit back up to be 5 fish 18" to 25" or 26.

Many people have the misconception that if they lower the limit then these people can eventually catch more and bigger fish. Which for many people will never happen.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #48
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
TPWD has proposed at least three times to raise the redfish limit (giving back....raising it back). The science supports raising it. Again public opinion has rejected those limits going back up. We, the license purchasers, opted to keep it as is.....

So yes in fact they do revisit and raise the limits back.
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #49
KemoSabe
Registered Users-pm+

KemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
TPWD has proposed at least three times to raise the redfish limit (giving back....raising it back). The science supports raising it. Again public opinion has rejected those limits going back up. We, the license purchasers, opted to keep it as is.....

So yes in fact they do revisit and raise the limits back.
Were "ALL" Texas saltwater license holders polled, what was the %yeah:%heay and was this vote published as public record? Why would the TPWD scientific community use an unscientific measure to determine an outcome if science supports increased limits on red fish?? I am trying to figure out why TPWD even employs biologists if they use a show of hands to determine fisheries management.
Me thinks they pander and call it revisit.
KemoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #50
Jaysand247
Registered Users-pm+

Jaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to Pirate
Unfortunately I was left out of the loop on raising the redfish limit.. I feel like the same ones getting a say on lowering the limit are the same ones saying no to raising the limit on reds.. I've had a fishing license every year ever since I was required to have one where's my ballot or email telling me when to go vote?
Jaysand247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message