401K or after tax investment? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Investments and finance
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
essayons75
Professional Salesman

essayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirate
401K or after tax investment?

I may be changing jobs. New job has 401K, but no match. Salary increase at new job would be a little more than old job 401K match. Should I max-out 401K contribution or let all or some of it be taxed and invest after taxes?

Thanks.
essayons75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
There is arguments for both the 401k and Roth IRA
2018 401k max is $18,500

I do both and try to put a good portion into them

I also max my HSA but kids braces are not helping me
- but I have talked to some retired folks who have HSA savings building and use it as they need it
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
boom!
Registered Users-pm+

boom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddskipper View Post
There is arguments for both the 401k and Roth IRA
2018 401k max is $18,500

I do both and try to put a good portion into them

I also max my HSA but kids braces are not helping me
- but I have talked to some retired folks who have HSA savings building and use it as they need it
24,500$ for peeps over 50.....
boom! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
essayons75
Professional Salesman

essayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirate
Good info. I think I will max-out 401K first.
essayons75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
A lot depends on your future income after retirement. If you will receive a pension after you retire a ROTH IRA may be better in the long run since any appreciation in value isn't taxable. The downside is the money for the IRA is after taxes. It also depends on things that are out of your control like longevity. I believe you can do both a 401K and a Roth. For me, the benefit for the IRA was the company match. Later, the company no longer required a contribution so I stopped contributing. One way or another you will eventually pay taxes on the 401K (unless Trump grants a waver).
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
fangard
www.jacksride.org

fangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Piratefangard has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by essayons75 View Post
Good info. I think I will max-out 401K first.

See if your company has a Roth 401k option. You can split into both. Helps you manage your tax brackets later.
fangard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #7
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to Pirate
Work out with your tax bracket with the new tax law and standard deduction and decide on it.
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Its Catchy
Banned

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
To each his own. But I think a simple rule is if your company offers a match, max it out. If not pay the taxes up front and roll with a roth.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #9
Mouse52
Registered Users-pm+

Mouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to Pirate
Agree with Its Catchy. Get the match if available and either have a IRA or Roth. I am more of a fan of the Roth IRA since you have more options with it. Also something to consider is when you pull money from a taxed deferred IRA you may end up paying taxes on some of your social security since it would be counted as income. You wouldn't have this issue with a Roth. Whichever way you go DO IT!. I was taught old school about saving and now that I am retired and pulling from my IRA and SS am very glad my Mom and Dad beat that into me. Have more to spend annually than when I was working.
Mouse52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message