Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #41
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Bertram should build the 35 sportfish again. I had one and it was a great fishing boat.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #42
SailFishCostaRica

SailFishCostaRica has disabled reputation
They are, they just started to build the one I posted pictures of. It's like 650K though. But I'm sure it's an amazing boat.
SailFishCostaRica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #43
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
Just read article in Power and Motoryacht...They had to redesign rudders after initial seatrials to prevent speed bleed in turns. Looks like it will be a cool boat. Liberty made a similar one at 42ft that is one of my favorites. Just did not sell enough to stay in business but they were awesome with limited thru hulls, low center of gravity, sea chest....well thought out. Hopefully yours will come out good . awesome talent and initiative.
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #44
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
Any updates?
Old 06-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #45
SailFishCostaRica

Alright, trying to think where I left off. We got the foam on both the upstairs and downstairs front part of the cabin. We then pulled them off and this is what the ROUGH mold / copy looks like. We put the boards on them to straighten them up to glass the inside. With just one side glassed they are flimsy.

Then we spent the better part of the last two weeks, maybe more, painting, wet sanding, assembling, wirings, aligning motors, putting back in rudders, thru hulls, and just everything we could think of to the original. We even made them another 4 tuna tubes and stuck them to the back. Boat goes into the water TOMORROW!!!!

And then Harold went ahead and clean cut the edges of the two pieces of the cabin. What I don't have pictures of is that we took cardboard, like a fridge box, and made a trace of the rest of both of the cabins. And we have that traced onto the DivinyCell. And then since we are adding 3-4 feet to the boat, we added 1.5 feet to the bottom part of the cabin, and a foot to the upstairs station as well. Those pieces we stuck on at the end of the day today, and hopefully tomorrow we can put the long sides on the cabin.

More pictures coming soon, sorry for the delay
Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #46
SailFishCostaRica

And then quick side story, there was a boat here a long time ago, maybe 15 years back that kicked everybody's butt offshore. It was called the Galleton, which I think means big cookie. Anyway, it was a 38 Bertram WideBody. I remember the last time I saw it, was around 7 years ago, and the fishing was slow out there. I finished the day with 2 sail releases, and right next to me the Galleton had released 9 and was top boat in the fleet. It always did that, it was just one of those boats that really raised the fish. My best friend was driving it at the time, and he was joking with me that he would put out less teasers, and just the crappiest one he could find, and whatever he put out, the boat raised fish.

Ok, so then about 6 years ago, the owner sold the boat, and then it turned over again, and again, and then somebody came along and really redid the whole thing nice. My friend Gener was in charge of the refit. And sneaky Gener knew how good the boat raised fish, so one day when the owner was out of town, Gener did the SAME THING we are doing here to the Galleton. Took a mold of both sides. Completely secret like, the owner had no idea.

So Gener had the molds hidden away, but now both the Galleton and the new owner are long gone, but Gener never had the money to build one. So he sold the mold a few months back to a guy that is planning on destroying them and turning them into a commercial boat. I didn't know they were for sale, but I found out after they were sold. So the new owner refused to let me copy them, until yesterday. The owner of the shop, and a few of the really good fiberglass guys here went and convinced the owner to let me use them to make a hull before he destroys them

SO, if anybody is still reading... Monday we stop this project to fix the other mold. I'm not going to build the whole boat, but I do want to setup the mold, make the hull and put a few bulkheads and stringers in it to keep it stable. I have to move fast because they are about to use the mold as a boat and if I don't do it now it will be gone forever So I'll just post the other build in here with this one, and we'll have a 31 bert stretched to a 34 or 35 going, and then the 38 widebody which I am going to add 2 feet to, just so I can have a 40 footer. More coming soon!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #47
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

Way Cool! Thanks for the update. With regards to the widebody raising fish...wonder how much of that was diesel harmonics. Do you know what motors were in that boat? Lots of those 38s had 903 Cummins if I remember correctly. Knew a guy that came to Cancun when I was down there every year from 87 to late 90s when I quit going. He had a 62 Stiker. He and his Capt swore that if watermaker was running sailfish bite turned off.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #48
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
Great story and good luck! I tend to think with Weber on the mechanical harmonics. i know a couple very good tarpon fisherman that swear by certain engine configurations and gear ratios in the transmission raise more fish.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #49
SailFishCostaRica

Yes, the boat started out when I knew it with cat V8s. Did amazing. They changed it over to cummins 450hp C series, and the boat did great! I agree that stray noise will run off fish though.

The transmission ratio I do buy alot more. Bigger props is less white wash, so I would love to go to a 2 to 1 ratio with big wheels. We'll see, I still got a looooooong way to go
Save
Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #50
saltwater4life
Wishin I was Fishin

saltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Piratesaltwater4life has been promoted to Pirate
Absolutely love this thread, especially after fishing with you guys in April, interested in seeing what you're adding to your fleet and how you're doing it.

Any updates on the copy of the galleria mold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saltwater4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message