Copying a 31 Bertram in Quepos Costa Rica - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFishCostaRica View Post
Interesting, i don't think a foot would kill the looks. That is something to consider. Don't want to ruin the classic look though, I might do it and cut it off if I don't like it Something to think about...

I figured it would also add some extra shade for the crew also. If you do it I would love to see how it looks.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
SailFishCostaRica

SailFishCostaRica has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishtx View Post
I figured it would also add some extra shade for the crew also. If you do it I would love to see how it looks.
I am probably going to add the fold out sunbrella shade too, just to give some shade to the people I know are going to be sitting on the motor boxes.

Well, our nice Warehouse fell through. Looks like this is going to be home for the next year. We got the corner of the boat yard. Can't work in the rain, so we are going to have to build something to keep us covered. We start welding tomorrow...

SailFishCostaRica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
JLJ1981
Registered Users-pm+

JLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to PirateJLJ1981 has been promoted to Pirate
Hey John. I am looking forward to watching another one of your projects come together.

I am hoping to fish with you guys again later in the year. Hopefully I can come check it out in person.
JLJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
richg99
richg99

richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds like a great project that I can watch and enjoy your progress. Good luck.

Also, won't Bertram have anything to say about popping their hull, or is that patent long expired?

richg99
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #15
SailFishCostaRica

Quote:
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
Sounds like a great project that I can watch and enjoy your progress. Good luck.

Also, won't Bertram have anything to say about popping their hull, or is that patent long expired?

richg99
Patents don't last forever, I think 18 years. And I'm not building them to sell them, so bertram shouldn't be too upset.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #16
SailFishCostaRica

Ok, so we made a shade to work under, got a really strong night wind, and the roof ripped off and went into the ocean. Not much more to say about that, wasted a week though. So, I moved the boat back to the same place we lightened up the ocean master and made the Quepos 28. I am not sure if we'll build the new boat here, but we will make the mold here for time sake as I am out of time.

So after the fiasco with the roof, we finally finished up the prep on the Bert to take one side. That involved putting on 15 coats of mold release wax and 4 coats of thick PVA. It looked like this when we were done:

And then we put two layers of thick mat and a layer of woven fiberglass on top.

Tomorrow we have a bunch of 3/4 inch plywood. We are going to make birdcages of the side of the boat using 2 by 3's and then cut the plywood to fit the sides of the boat, and then glass in the plywood. This will help the mold to stand up when we are done, and it'll help the mold to get less flexible. After we get the plywood in places, i bought a bunch of 4 inch pvc tubes and we are going to cut them in half, and further make the mold rigid. I was going to wait for that to take pictures, but I'll try to post again tomorrow. Today was alot of work, although it doesn't look like it. It took forever to get the boat balanced on one side like that, with just a few supports on the side we are working on.

Again, the goal is just to get something to work with. I am not able to strip the boat of everything, turn it upside down and pop off a perfect mold, so we are kind of taking pictures of the sides of the boat with this mold, and then we will put the two sides together and then gelcoat the mold and make it look like we did flip the boat. I just want something to work with.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
Quackerbox
Registered Users-pm+

Quackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to PirateQuackerbox has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting and quite the endeavor
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #18
SailFishCostaRica

So the glass was dry this morning. We left the woven cloth on the outside, so we don't have to sand as much to stick stuff to in. So we put the two layers of mat on the inside, and once layer of 18oz woven. Let that dry with the mat out. And then today, we are putting some PVC tubes on the outside to keep it straight. These are 4 inch PVC tubes, and we are using bondo with extra cat. like glue. You can catilize the bondo hot and it dries in like 3 minutes. Then we are going to glass these on.

Here's the first tube

Here's the second tube

More pictures to come in a bit.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
gman1772
All men die, not all men really live.

gman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirate
That mold might be worth a dollar or 2 after you get done with it. Bertram 31's bring stupid money in the States considering their age. I never owned one but I rode on a few. Best offshore cruiser ever made in my opinion.
gman1772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #20
SailFishCostaRica

Ok, so we put the PVC on the outside. And then we started making birdcages for the plywood braces.

Save