2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TP&W Public Hearings

8K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  irbjd 
#1 ·
Public Hearing Dates. TP&W.
Public hearings: TPWD staff will be hosting several public hearings on the upper coast to receive input from stakeholders and constituents concerning the proposed regulation changes.
Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 6 p.m. at the Nessler Civic Center 2010 5th Ave N, Texas City, TX 77590
Thursday, Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. at the Port Arthur Civic Center 3401 Cultural Center Dr; Port Arthur, TX 77642
Monday, March 4 at 6 p.m. at The San Jacinto River Authority 1577 Dam Site Rd, Conroe, TX 77304

#41 ·
I attended the meeting

I didn’t count how many people attended but Joe Kent from the Galveston News reported he went and counted 35. I would have guessed closer to 75. The majority spoke against it but one nonguide spoke for it and one guide Steve Hillman spoke in favor and stated why. He is concerned about the future of the fishery. I have to agree with him. Since I retired 4 years ago I fish on average 3 times a week with some pretty good fisherman and alone when I can’t find anyone to go. One recent trip to Galveston West Bay we didn’t keep a single fish not because we didn’t catch but because most were not even close to the 15” limit.
We caught specks reds and a flounder all drifting known reefs in the upper bay.
My belief and many who I fish with believe is, to many fish were taken from the bay when the great flood concentrated them all on one East Bay reef for two months a couple of years ago. TPW should have stepped in then and stopped that slaughter I know I caught and released more 25 -28” fish than I have seen in my 60 years of fishing Galveston Bays. I witnessed that slaughter and some of you here reported it also, so you know what I speak about.
I also was there when the first scope meetings took Place in Port Mansfield to lower the limits and the same arguments were stated then from the sides for and against but my belief is it helped the fishery in Mansfield and I haven’t seen any guides leaving for lack of business down there.
My .02

#42 ·
So, multiple years of freshwater inflow tends to skew the data from gillnets and creel surveys when it comes to trout. Looks like a troutpacalypse is upon us.. We are in a wet cycle, when it drys out and salt comes back up, the trout will be here. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. If you want a five fish limit, lobby for it in your bay system, not the whole coast. Sabine is vastly different than LLM.

#43 ·
I consider "redfish trout country" to be NC thru Texas.. in that coast line .. texas ranks #2 in in state anglers (fla #1 , NC #3 )... however when you add out of state anglers texas ranks #4 (fla #1 , NC # 2, LA #3 .. then texas) all of the top 3 make almost as much from out of state angling revenue than they do for in state.

I travel the who redfish trout country and in my opinion texas is far superior. We have the best population of UPPER SLOT redfish and the best population of trout period. HOWEVER, we have no identity as a destination fishery. Texas generates 186 million from the coastal anglers.. and 4mill from the out os state. NC for example makes 127 million in state and 105 from out of state

Texas can increase its out of state angling dollars by becoming a trophy fish destination. If a 5 Trout limit will help increase the probability of more 30 inch trout then i think texas has a real shot of pushing the out of state angling dollars close to 90% of the in-state dollars.

I am assuming that is the motivation behind the proposal- so as a lure company i am for anything that increases the number of dollars being spent on saltwater angling here in Texas

#44 ·
I consider "redfish trout country" to be NC thru Texas.. in that coast line .. texas ranks #2 in in state anglers (fla #1 , NC #3 )... however when you add out of state anglers texas ranks #4 (fla #1 , NC # 2, LA #3 .. then texas) all of the top 3 make almost as much from out of state angling revenue than they do for in state.

I travel the who redfish trout country and in my opinion texas is far superior. We have the best population of UPPER SLOT redfish and the best population of trout period. HOWEVER, we have no identity as a destination fishery. Texas generates 186 million from the coastal anglers.. and 4mill from the out os state. NC for example makes 127 million in state and 105 from out of state

Texas can increase its out of state angling dollars by becoming a trophy fish destination. If a 5 Trout limit will help increase the probability of more 30 inch trout then i think texas has a real shot of pushing the out of state angling dollars close to 90% of the in-state dollars.

I am assuming that is the motivation behind the proposal- so as a lure company i am for anything that increases the number of dollars being spent on saltwater angling here in Texas
One key word you use is "if". Is there any data that says a 5 trout limit will increase the number of trophy trout?

#45 ·
guides and barking monkeys

guides and barking monkeys. need i say more. lower the limit all day long. as long as the guides and the rest of the world are allowed to use barking monkeys, problem will not be solved. on any given summer day you've got 100's of guides (a lot take 2 trips/parties a day) massacring countless limits of solid trout daily. In my humble opinion this is outrageous, and is the root cause of the problem.:texasflag

#49 ·
Louisiana regulations allow 15 trout at 12" on Sabine. Anglers will purchase Louisiana licences instead of Texas licences over this. Growth overfishing may also be a concern with a 12" size limit. Until Sabine Lake has water body regulations nothing you do will have an effect. Toledo Bend is the precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.