Mosquito Fleet?? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
BigGulp
Registered Users-pm+

BigGulp is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Mosquito Fleet??

Surely one of you old salts know where this expression comes from. I thought it was used in reference to the shrimpers, but I've seen it applied to other small boats. This greenhorn would like to be enlightened.
BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Kenner21
Registered Users-pm+

Kenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to Pirate
As you know i'm by no means an old salt, but I think it includes people like myself who fish their bay boats offshore during the summer. I'd guess the meaning comes from the small size of the boats and they're all over out there in the summer. Nothing makes you feel better when your in a 21 foot kenner sweating it than to see a 14 footer come whipping by
Kenner21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
quackersmacker
Chupacabra Expert

quackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Piratequackersmacker has been promoted to Pirate
Very true, Kenner 21. "Nothing makes you feel better when your in a 21 foot kenner sweating it than to see a 14 footer come whipping by." 21' kenner or a 22' mowdy, like mine
quackersmacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
pelican
Chillin'

pelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiepelican has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I've seen the term used as Kenner21 outlines above as well as for shrimp boats and small fishing boat fleets in Mexico and the Carribean. The term is also used by the U.S. Navy ... not sure about it's origination ...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term Mosquito Fleet has had three main meanings in U.S. naval history:

1. It is the term used to describe the United States Navy's fleet of small gunboats, leading up to and during the War of 1812.

2. It was the name of a United States Navy squadron detachment, commanded by Commodore Matthew C. Perry, that fought against the Mexican fortresses at Tuxpan and Villahermosa during the Mexican-American War.

3. It is the term used to describe a fleet of small steam vessels which plied the waters of the Puget Sound during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
pelican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Dutch Treat
NRA LIFER

Dutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to Pirate
Talking Skeeter fleet

It is really easy to understand. It refers to lots of small outboard rigs buzzing around on the gulf.

Bob
Dutch Treat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
krbo18
Registered Users-pm+

krbo18 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)krbo18 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
i have a 21 kenner, ive never tried gettin offshore with it, i dont know how i'd do out there. I'm guessin you only go out there when its not over 2 ft.. i'd love to hear how you do it and whats the biggest waves you can handle out there.
krbo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Kenner21
Registered Users-pm+

Kenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to PirateKenner21 has been promoted to Pirate
1st thing we did was add a VHF radio in case it ever hits the fan. Typically we buddy boat with my friend who has a 24 foot fish master. We typically don't run past 15-20 miles and ideally its an actual 2 foot or less. We've been out in in 3's 3 and halfs before but you have to go so slow its not worth it plus it isn't very safe. I love it when it's really laid down and we can run 35 mph. We've made one trip this winter that we caught a nice window and limited out on snapper in 22 feet of water out of sabine. Most of the fish that we kept were 19-22 inches. It was one of my most memorable trips, you were either hooked up on a snapper,slot red, or a bull red.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
jd10g
Registered Users-pm+

jd10g is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
20' Alweld with the 90hp yammie zooming by ya 40 miles out . . . woo hoo!!! and hold on!
jd10g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Kenner21
Registered Users-pm+

Here's a shot from that trip, we decided not to keep any of the redfish even though were within 9NM. There were so many fish in the water you'd be reeling in a snapper and a redfish would ram it right on top of the water. You could also see a mix of red snapper and red fish in the greenish water when you reeled them up. I also caught my largest redfish ever I'm guessing 35+ pounds..wish we would have had a camera with us out there. **** now I'm really hurting to get out there....Sorry about the Hi-jack kevin but I figured you had your answer When we going after some hoo's??!?!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kenner21; 02-21-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
BPitcher

BPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to PirateBPitcher has been promoted to Pirate
Pictured is Catolies on a weedline not far from the 393 rig. It was a great day. Kenner21, my father runs his 17ft scout out to 20 mi or so, he's always looking for a buddy boat.
BPitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message