? for Jeff Freeman - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
agulhas
Registered Users-pm+

agulhas has disabled reputation
? for Jeff Freeman

jeff do you remember the tides in relation to when you caught the hoo? it seems that it was a couple of hours before the low and turn to incoming. did the bite slow at a certain time. also were they on the reef or on the deep water side?
agulhas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
DRSHARK
Registered Users-pm+

DRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
Tides

agulhas, low3, high, incoming, or outgoing have no bearing offshore. Every thing out there is governed by the Rotary Tides which have nothing to do with Low and High. Rotary Tides have strengths of a Low of 7 to a High of 14. Jeff was out on the 14th of Feb and the Rotary tides that day were 11. To learn about Rotary Tides buy Gulf Coast Fisherman by Harold Wells. It comes out Quarterly and gives you everything on the inshore Tides as well as the Offshore Rotary Tides. It also gives the Moon Phases. Drshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulhas
jeff do you remember the tides in relation to when you caught the hoo? it seems that it was a couple of hours before the low and turn to incoming. did the bite slow at a certain time. also were they on the reef or on the deep water side?
DRSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
agulhas
Registered Users-pm+

i think he was out on the 10th. you are correct but i guess i mistyped my question. i am more interested on if the fish were caught on top of the reef or if they were waiting for the bait to be pulled into deeper water by the current as it passed over the reef. also even if you have a current moving in a loop it is moving through a very large area and the current is pulling in a certain direction over the reef. if you are sitting on the reef it is going to seem like it is moving in a certain direction and if you knew no better it would seem that it was coming in or going out. just interested to know which direction the current was moving in in relation to where the fish were caught on the reef. but currents do move in horizontal directions. they often move for thousands of miles in a certain direction. for eg. if you are in carolina or the east coast and you are fishing the gulf stream you have a current that acts like a tide by moving in a n.n.e direction all the way up to the lefoten islands. on a different scale the tidal pull effects the movement as wells charts forecast. the water moves in and out at different speeds over the gardens on any diff day. then of course you have loop currents in the gulf that collide and correlate differently and cause many "weather systems" in the water.

so the question for jeff: which direction was the water moving in when you caught the hoo - mexico, cuba, florida, louisiana, houston, corpus, etc.?

Last edited by agulhas; 02-20-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Jfreeman
Registered Users-pm+

Jfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to Pirate
All the wahoo were caught between 10:30am to 1pm. The water depth was around 250' but the hump they were on top of was around 170' deep. The bite was hot the entire time. I didn't really notice what the current was doing, it wasn't moving much. The moon was up and about 2/3 full. Lures weren't important they hit every color and type of lure I tried.
Jfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
Rsnap
Registered Users-pm+

Rsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to Pirate
Contact Frank Nobels (now retired) & living in Matagorda I think. He Knows more about the tides, Moon over, Moon under than anyone I have ever met. Tell him Rik J. said to call & he can & probally will tell you anything you may want to know. Having said that-
I think like most that has no huge bearing on Wahoo. He could always tell me when the best bite was for Snapper, but again, when you find the right fish (hungry ones) they
bite. It helps out much more when fishing is tough. It also has much more bearing on
the bay & jettys. Rik
Rsnap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
agulhas
Registered Users-pm+

thanks for all the input.