Big "E" Trip - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
thomassteele
Registered Users-pm+

thomassteele is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Big "E" Trip

We left the dock about 11 a.m. headed for Boomvang. As you know, it was not the best of weather to say the least. On the run out the seas were the most favorable for the trip - downhill and quartering. We did not stop to make bait as the livewell was down and we arrived at Boomvang at around 5:00 or 5:30. Since it was not yet dark I was not too optimistic about the first few drifts. Nothing busting the surface. Of course it would have been difficult to spot anything on the surface with all the whitecaps and windy froth.

After the first drift it was clear we would have a problem getting down to the tuna. Even the largest jigs were going sideways instead of down. By 9.30 there was only a couple blackfin and skipjack on the boat. The most exciting thing happening at this time was the drive back to the rig after the drift was done. The wind had picked up and Captain Frank had to stumble the boat uphill against some pretty frothy waves. You know the deal - wet pulpit, wet shoes ( thank goodness I had a new pair of deck boots and a warm slicker). The Captain did all he could to minimize the pounding on his passengers. I was a bit tired and went to the bunk for sleep. I slept through the wost of it and woke up ready and willing at 3:30 am.

In the meantime the boat had moved to Nansen and there were about 60 blackfin on board. So I jigged up may share as we moved to a floater in the area and then back to Nansen. By sunrise we had over 100 blackfin but no yellowfin. We stumbled back towards Freeport stopping at 3 locations to bottom fish. All spots were around 55 miles from home. The ususal bag of Beeliners and such. Nothing dramatic, nothing large. With a few more hours of rough stuff ahead, we pulled anchor and headed in.

I want to thank Dr. Shark for coming along for the ride. He caught more than his share of blackfin and handled the seas like a trooper. Hopefully I will fish with him again. I also want to thank Lumberjack for his effort in finding someone to fill my vacant spot.

By the way, you guys headed out this weekend need not worry - the livewell should be up and running by then. Good luck.
thomassteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
newman
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager

newman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateernewman has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Thanks for the report! Got any pics?
newman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
thomassteele
Registered Users-pm+

thomassteele is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Newman:

No pics. In fact, I do not remember anybody taking any pictures. It was foul out there and I don't think anybody wanted to memorialize the event. As far as pics at the dock- I gave what I caught to a guy and his girlfriend who did not catch many tuna. Dr. Shark gave his away as well. I do not know if he took any pictures, but he will post later. Sorry.
thomassteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thomas, I'm glad that you filled your spot. I've been in that position before.

Later,

Lumberjack93
Lumberjack93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
DRSHARK
Registered Users-pm+

DRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
Big E

Same as ThomasSteele. Drshark
DRSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
OFFSHORE
Registered Users-pm+

OFFSHORE is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have some pictures will try to post them today
OFFSHORE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
disgusted
Banned

disgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
If the Big E wanted to put you on yellowfins they would have went to Gunnison.

The temps are wrong for yellowfins at Boom vang and Nancen and have not been right for quite a while.

The water temp is right at Gunnison and Hiltons is showing a rip line within 10 miles. of the rig.
disgusted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
SteveB
Registered Users-pm+

SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Wouldn't get much fishing in at Gunnison on a 30 hr trip as it is 10 hrs running each way in good weather.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
disgusted
Banned

disgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB
Wouldn't get much fishing in at Gunnison on a 30 hr trip as it is 10 hrs running each way in good weather.
I thought the Big E could run 30kts? That is only 5 hrs.
disgusted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
SteveB
Registered Users-pm+

SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
My mistake, it is a 10 hr run to Redhawk. Big E tops out around 28 knots I believe, but the cruise speed is closer to 20-23 knots. I guess that would be around 6-7 hrs to Gunnison.

Steve
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message