What Can I Catch? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
James Howell
Registered Users-pm+

James Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to Pirate
I'll bite, because there really are no secrets to state waters out of freeport. The east bank, the middle bank, and the junior SE Lump (no the main SE lump, its past 9 nm) are your go to spots for snapper in state waters. Some rigs will hold snapper at various times in state water, also. Occasionally the George Vancouver wreck will have some fish as well. You are also likely to catch redfish (generally oversized), white trout, triggerfish, sheepshead around the rigs, and maybe the occasional bluefish or pompano around the rigs. If the fish aren't biting, anchor near the end of the jetties and fish for bull reds and oversized drum. Or fish closer to the jetties and wear out the sheepshead.
James Howell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
DRSHARK
Registered Users-pm+

DRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
Trading Up?

Mahiseeker, what are you trading up to? Drshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahiseeker
G-Unit, There's nothing slow about getting a boat. You've got the fever like the rest of us, it depends on how stocked your bank account is. It costs a lot of money-period. I have a boat for sale, if your ready, because I'm going bigger. If you want to get out & fish, there's a lot of guys here that would probably take you along, me included. But expect to pay for gas, bait, & ice at the minimum. I have a lot of friends that want to catch fish, but when it comes time to pony up for the trip, they pull out their excuse book. Needless to say their fishing on dry land from now on. Also, don't expect the boat to turn around when your 40 miles out, & you start chumming. Lastly, if you get out on somebody elses boat, don't expect to sit back & hug the ground, when it comes time to clean the boat. If this sounds harsh, I don't mean to, it's just when your the boat owner, you'll know what I mean. It's a different story when your taking babes out, expect to pay for everthing, & do yourself a favor, fork over another $30, & let some kid clean up the boat. Aloha!
DRSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
jewfish
Member - Uncle John's Band

jewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Pirate
the two happiest days of a boat owners life, the day you buy it and the day you sell it! its a vicious circle though because, then you find yourself jonsing for yet a different vessel or maybe 2 or 3 at the same time for different purposes. It has led me to the grass flats and to Boomvang, to the Bays and to the jetties, it can be addicting to some and flat out rediculous to others, even absurd to ex wives and the likes!
jewfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #14
G-Unit
Registered Users-pm+

G-Unit is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I went to Maui last weekend and did a charter. We went out and trolled for over 3 hours and got 1 hit. It was a skip jack tuna. The funny thing was I told the captain that we get BFT in the gulf and he said that there was no such fish. I bet him dinner and he lost.

Anyway I learned that I needed to be fishing in Kona. No fish but the water is nice and the beer was flowing...

By the way are sheepshead good fish to eat? I have heard that it was a trash fish.

G
G-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
jig
Registered Users-pm+

jig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Pirate
Jewfish, Amen to that!!! I hope to never own another offshore boat again. But then why am I reading Boating Magazine cover to cover every month? Vicious cycle is dead right. :-)
jig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #16
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Calmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to Pirate
Sheep head are fantastic eating. The only problem is that you get very little meat from a fish. I shot a 10lb’er while spear fishing one time and got more meat from a B Liner.
Calmday is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #17
manintheboat
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in

manintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Pirate
Sheephead and Triggers are excellent eating, but both are a real PITA to clean and as Calmday mentioned, you do not get much meat for your trouble. With the weather we are getting lately, it does not matter much.
manintheboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #18
mahiseeker
Registered Users-pm+

mahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Piratemahiseeker has been promoted to Pirate
dolphin

Hey DrShark, I'd like to get in the 28' range. I'm torn between a classic 28' Bertram, or outboard power. Part of me wants the cabin space, & then I want more fishing space. A good walkaround is probably what I need. A true walkaround with actual space to make it up to the bow. I like the 28' Boston Whaler offshore walkaround. Decent enough cabin, wide deep walkarounds, & room on the bow to fish. The helm area is like a really good cc setup. Twin engines of course, but also pushing the $70k threshold. Also has 300 gallon tanks. Never been out on one, so I don't know how they ride. I'm fishing on a 23' Hydrasport 05 model, w/a 225 Yammie 4-stroke. Great engine, fuel efficient, & so quiet. Have it for sale now, so need to sell first, before I upgrade. Any suggestions?
mahiseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #19
FRAYEDKNOT
Registered Users-pm+

FRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to PirateFRAYEDKNOT has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howell
I'll bite, because there really are no secrets to state waters out of freeport. The east bank, the middle bank, and the junior SE Lump (no the main SE lump, its past 9 nm) are your go to spots for snapper in state waters. Some rigs will hold snapper at various times in state water, also. Occasionally the George Vancouver wreck will have some fish as well. You are also likely to catch redfish (generally oversized), white trout, triggerfish, sheepshead around the rigs, and maybe the occasional bluefish or pompano around the rigs. If the fish aren't biting, anchor near the end of the jetties and fish for bull reds and oversized drum. Or fish closer to the jetties and wear out the sheepshead.
That nails it for close to Freeport. If the weather lays down I'll see ya there.
FRAYEDKNOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #20
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
White Trout ? Isnt that a new name for the ole trusty Sand Trout ? AKA Gulf Trout ?

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message