HELP! Tuna Spinning Rod Emergency - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #21
dlove
Registered Users-pm+

dlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Piratedlove has been promoted to Pirate
Go to academy and buy a $40 allstar gulfstream. It will get you through the weekend.
dlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #22
Sea Crappie
Registered Users-pm+

Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Lumberjack,

I'm well aware of Charkbait's discontinuing GUSA rods. If you want a plethora of contradicting opinions on them, go over to Allcoast and read up. I don't want to pile on GUSA over the breakage, as I think it's well known I'm not the first to break one (nor were McGolfer and Jfreeman).

I stated my reasons for why I think it broke and part of it falls on designating the rod as capable of handling 60lb line. Though happy to be proved wrong there is nothing I have seen that supports such a line rating, at the same time I think it could be a killer 40lb rod, say with a trini 20 matched to it. Personally I think a rod should be able to handle a load of 1/3 the max rating with plenty to spare.

Oh, and props to GUSA for being willing to replace the blank.

Txseadog,

Tried to get the United for the reasons you gave, but they were out of stock so I went with the GUSA.
Sea Crappie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #23
Lumberjack93
Registered Users-pm+

Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Lumberjack93 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Sea Crappie, sorry to hear that you had trouble. Hope you get one that you like.

LJ93
Lumberjack93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #24
txseadog
Registered Users-pm+

txseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Crappie
Tried to get the United for the reasons you gave, but they were out of stock so I went with the GUSA.
I hear you. Hastings has really been behind in filling orders since moving their manufacturing plant last year. I got lucky on the first order and it only took about 2 weeks to get the first United blank but waited 8 weeks for the replacement and I have had the 3rd on order since Thanksgiving.
txseadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #25
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Earl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Sorry I haven't been replying quickly. Been busy so only get to check the forumns late at nite.

I fish 70lb spectra on my 9500SS with a 25' or so section of 80-100lb mono. Fully buttoned down the reel is capable of 27-28lbs of drag, I back it off a bit so am likely around 15lbs-20lbs or so.

I have never fished a Travala. From what I have read I personally wouldn't like them as I like a rod that is not parabolic but has a fast taper - shuts down quickly letting me put some leverage on the fish. But that is just a personal choice others like the action of the Travala but it is definitely different.

I'd definitely take McGolfer up on his offer that Cape Fear spinner I can tell you from using his conventional rod will be SWEET. They are extremely light but have amazing power.

Or as Rick stated I'd be happy to loan my Melton/Seeker to you and he can pick it up. Hell if there is an opening I might even come - just when is this trip?

Earl

Quote:
Earl,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Melton's on Waterbug's suggestion and saw your 30-50 spinner. How much drag do you fish with it? Whatever I do I gotta move fast since I need it by Thurs night. On the Trevala, I've thought about getting a jigging rod but the Trevala spinner looks too light for the 60 lb braid I'll fish it with, have you fished it? If so what's it like?

Waterbug,

I've heard from several folks that Chris makes a wicked good rod, but again, time is of the essence and I doubt he could roll me one with 2 days notice (thought it doesn't hurt to ask)

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll look into them.

Maybe I'll just have to back off the drag

Last edited by Earl; 02-22-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #26
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
I have to vent (and ask for some help)

I bought a GUSA monster mag blank 70 2 months ago and after waiting until yesterday to get a full set of Fuji ICMNSG's to go on it I finally got to test cast it tonight. Thing casts a country mile with ease and I am one happy camper. I get back from test casting tonight and do one final static deflection just to double check. Well, the rod breaks clean between the 2nd and 3rd guides from the butt under only 19lbs of load.

I'm on the Big E tuna trip this weekend and now that my GUSA blank is broken, I find myself without many options for a heavy spinning rod and now I'm really peeved cause I have a brand new Stella 20000 to go with it. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

So, my question to my fellow 2Cooler's: I need a heavy spinning rod ASAP. Any retail options for a popping rod that will let me fish with 20+ lbs of drag if needed? I looked at the Japanese GT rods before settling on building the GUSA, so does anyone know of a retailer of GT popping rods (Seven Seas, Smith, Carpenter) in the US? At this junction cost isn't really much of an object.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks Ya'll

Sea Crappie
http://www.anglers-proshop.com/index...ed13f92652a443
Snagged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #27
mcgolfer
Registered Users-pm+

mcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
earl
we are fishing this weekend. leaving on friday morning and coming back in on sunday afternoon weather permitting.....rick

sea crappie
do you need a rod or have you purchased one? let me know what you want to do so we can work out the details. i am leaving to come to the coast thursday morning...rick
mcgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #28
Sea Crappie
Registered Users-pm+

Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Sea Crappie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Earl,

Thanks for the input on the Seeker rod. My major concern was being able to put some heat on the fish and still have enough backbone in the rod to lift.

mcgolfer,

I'd would take a loaner for sure if you don't mind, either the Cape Fear or the Chaos. I really appreciate it, and now I can take some time to settle on a new rod.

Snagged,

I'm very familiar with Angler's Pro Shop and they were who I would've called for a Japanese rod but Randy is fishing the Lump Feb 21-23, so he's out of pocket right now. It breaks my heart, cause I had a great excuse to pick up one of the new Seven Seas Tuna Mania Jigging Rods.
Sea Crappie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #29
DRSHARK
Registered Users-pm+

DRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerDRSHARK has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
Check out new rods

Sea Crappie, I should have a new Calstar 700H on board. RubinV called this morning and said I can pick it up Thurs. morning. There should be a good assortment of Spinners on this trip and you should have a good opportunity to check them all out. Drshark

Quote:
Earl,

Thanks for the input on the Seeker rod. My major concern was being able to put some heat on the fish and still have enough backbone in the rod to lift.

mcgolfer,

I'd would take a loaner for sure if you don't mind, either the Cape Fear or the Chaos. I really appreciate it, and now I can take some time to settle on a new rod.

Snagged,

I'm very familiar with Angler's Pro Shop and they were who I would've called for a Japanese rod but Randy is fishing the Lump Feb 21-23, so he's out of pocket right now. It breaks my heart, cause I had a great excuse to pick up one of the new Seven Seas Tuna Mania Jigging Rods.
DRSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #30
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Earl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I wish you guys luck on the trip. I'd love to come, I see Sea Crappies slot has come open. Unfortunately I had forgotten about the huge, honking stinking debt I owe Uncle Sam this year so my fishing excursions are going to be limited until I get out of this tax season....**** taxes....

And NO I'm not selling no Tiburons, or nothing!

Earl
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message