2018 250 evinrude g2 water pump - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
SouthTexasSlayer
Registered Users-pm+

SouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to Pirate
2018 250 evinrude g2 water pump

Bought a 250 evinrude g2 almost a year ago it’s got 55 hrs on it and my father has smoked 2 water pumps. My father and me have been running boats all our lives and never burned up one water pump. The dealer has given us some reasons as to why but if anyone has any input I would love to hear it. The motor is on a 24’ elpescador cat
SouthTexasSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
sand storm
Registered Users-pm+

sand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Piratesand storm has been promoted to Pirate
snook

First don't ever dry start the motor. I see guys do it on the trailer before launching. Pump may have been defective and the new one was installed wrong....no lubricant or rolled the O-ring which will cause low water psi and possible low water flow. Excessive ingestion of sand and no flushing. Make sure they replace the complete pump with housing and not just the impeller. I have not heard of any bulletins on pump problems.
sand storm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
It is imperative that the water pump be submerged before cranking the engine. The pump sits atop the gearcase and will not self- prime if the pump is out of the water. Once the pump is primed and has filled the engine block completely, then you will be able to lift the jack plate and motor off across a flat. The only g2 that I have seen lose a water pump are on skinny boats with jack plates, never a deep v Hull. These impellers are bigger, stiffer and they will create intense friction when started dry, then the rubber stars melting and it’s time for a new one.
Ronnie Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
SouthTexasSlayer
Registered Users-pm+

SouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to PirateSouthTexasSlayer has been promoted to Pirate
Thank u for reply’s the thing is it’s NEVER been started out of the water period
The dealers reson was we weren’t letting it pick up water long enough before taking off. And it is a skinny running boat will run in 4” but not for long

Last edited by SouthTexasSlayer; 07-16-2019 at 05:27 PM.
SouthTexasSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
A boat with multiple drivers will be more likely to experience these issues. You need to establish your boats “static” water level. Mark it on the gearcase. Mark the gearcase where the water pump mounts. If your static water line is even with or below your pump, you wii need to lower the engine on the transom or jack plate to ensure that you can get the pump fully submerged. Most jack plates lift higher than you can keep the prop hooked up and not slipping? Once the block is full of water you should be ablye to full lift the engine, get a little pickup pressurethru the front force feed holes in the gearcase and operate safely. Sometimes just a small change in loading can affect this static setting, such as passengers or gear on the front deck, it can pull the pump up out of the water. It looks as if your rig is going to be one of these super critical ones that we occasionally run into
Ronnie Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
ziggiey
Registered Users-pm+

ziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirateziggiey has been promoted to Pirate
Pump

As others have said you must submerge the pump, the jackplate needs to be all the way down when starting the motor. I have several friends with the same set up and they have no problems with burning up the pump.
ziggiey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
akeverett15
Registered Users-pm+

akeverett15 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have burned two up on my EP 21'. I replaced the water pump under a general maintenance item at 170 hours just as a precaution and since then I have burned two up sitting at 220 hours. Both times was due to debris being sucked up in to pump so hard to blame to the motor. I have no issues with water pressure even with the jack plate on 6. I can cruise all day on 6 and there are no issues. Just seems the G2 is more prone to picking trash up through the water intake grills than others.
akeverett15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
TexasEtec
Registered Users-pm+

TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)TexasEtec has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
check to see if you have large scoops.
TexasEtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
billgran
Registered Users-pm+

billgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunnerbillgran has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexasSlayer View Post
Bought a 250 evinrude g2 almost a year ago it’s got 55 hrs on it and my father has smoked 2 water pumps. My father and me have been running boats all our lives and never burned up one water pump. The dealer has given us some reasons as to why but if anyone has any input I would love to hear it. The motor is on a 24’ elpescador cat

Are you using the flushing ears on the gearcase or the screw-on hose fitting on the back of the motor or do you have the optional front mount flush hose and fitting?

How long are you running the motor for flushing?
billgran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message