Boiling Battery - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
TheKodiak
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast...

TheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Boiling Battery

Hello,
I have a battery that's been on a charger/conditioner for a few months. The lights indicate no issues. While the Rv is plugged into a 30A breaker, I installed the battery. Then, I heard a bubbling sound. So I disconnected the battery. I went ahead and tried it again. Same things happened. I checked the voltage going into the battery, and it read 13.8Vdc. Should I be concerned? Thanks.
TheKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
Check fluid level.
Also check the battery voltage at least 1 day after the charger has been disconnected. Voltage should read over 12.6 volts. Less than that and you could have short/dead cell.
Those little turkey badger glass electrolyte SG readers also can tell you a lot.

How old is the battery?

Off gassing of a drained battery when charging fast (>15 amps) is different than boiling. Is the battery hot when on the RV onboard charger?
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
TheKodiak

TheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stammster View Post
Check fluid level.
Also check the battery voltage at least 1 day after the charger has been disconnected. Voltage should read over 12.6 volts. Less than that and you could have short/dead cell.
Those little turkey badger glass electrolyte SG readers also can tell you a lot.

How old is the battery?

Off gassing of a drained battery when charging fast (>15 amps) is different than boiling. Is the battery hot when on the RV onboard charger?
I bought the battery back in Dec 2018. The water level is fine. But I did miss the obvious though. I went back to check it, and it read 9.3Vdc. I didn't bother touching the battery. I should've guessed that the battery would be done. Exide batteries have always given me issues. So I stopped buying them. It was actually taken from my trolling motor setup when the other one took a ****, so I ended up replacing the two with a different brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
I’ve gone on record on this board that Exide batteries from Academy are ****. The low price used to catch me every spring. It’ comes at no surprise, but Academy finally seemed to get this, and the ones near me now carry Interstate’s entry level batteries (same as Costco but a different label).

However, I just replaced a 6 year old Exide spiral AGM that I bought at Acedemy that was installed on my offshore boat. I’d buy those again in a minute, as I believe I paid $109 for the deep cycle group 24.

My choice of brand for lead acid is Deka by East Penn (available at Palmer Power or store delivery at Lowe’s), Interstate, and Wally World. Stay away from Exide (HD carry’s them) and Continental.

Batteries are like dogs, even the best breed will have a bad apple every once in a while. However bad breeds seem to always bite you sooner that to expected.

No offense SGREM and Yellowskeeter, but I just can’t afford lithium, no matter how little they weigh.
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
TheKodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stammster View Post
I’ve gone on record on this board that Exide batteries from Academy are ****. The low price used to catch me every spring. It’ comes at no surprise, but Academy finally seemed to get this, and the ones near me now carry Interstate’s entry level batteries (same as Costco but a different label).

However, I just replaced a 6 year old Exide spiral AGM that I bought at Acedemy that was installed on my offshore boat. I’d buy those again in a minute, as I believe I paid $109 for the deep cycle group 24.

My choice of brand for lead acid is Deka by East Penn (available at Palmer Power or store delivery at Lowe’s), Interstate, and Wally World. Stay away from Exide (HD carry’s them) and Continental.

Batteries are like dogs, even the best breed will have a bad apple every once in a while. However bad breeds seem to always bite you sooner that to expected.

No offense SGREM and Yellowskeeter, but I just can’t afford lithium, no matter how little they weigh.
Thanks for your two cents, I really appreciate it. I have a Deka on my boat. It was a last minute buy. I bought it at a local bait shop, after learning that my battery was dead upon arrival to the ramp. The cost was good, and figured it was a cheapy like excide. But I've actually been quite pleased with it.