2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Next up - catfish on the bulkheads

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  WESTTU1 
#1 ·
After the white bass spawn up the river is the catfish on the bulkheads. Can't wait. I love to fish for the blues on the bulkheads when the shad start spawning. Love to eat them just as much too.

#7 ·
Bulkheads are retaining walls designed to help protect the shore from erosion. My parents live on Lake Conroe, and much of it has bulkheads. I believe, but am quite possibly mistaken, that the shad will spawn in shallower water near the bulkheads and the catfish will gorge themselves on shad near the bulkhead at that time. It makes easy fishing for those of us without boats.

#10 ·
I usually tell folks that are planning a trip to coincide with the bulkhead run to plan their trip around April 10th. They usually start a little sooner than that date but generally speaking they will be in full swing by that date. If you are planning a couple days on the water right around that date you should be good to go. You will start hearing reports around the first of April, and they will definitely start before the 10th, but it really gets going full swing around the 10th on most years. That said, every year is a little different. But that's the date I use to set up my trips.

#13 ·
You will see the shad thick on the bulkheads at first light. Cast a net close and you will get all the shad you need. Fish early, when the shad are on the bulkhead. They don't stay there for very long, maybe a couple hours first thing in the morning. When the shad leave the fishing gets slow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.