2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Got my deer back and something aint right

7K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  ROBOWADER 
#1 ·
Talking about what the taxidermist is calling armpit hair that is on the front right leg. I am thinking he either used a slightly too large of a mannequin or did not put the cape on properly.

I asked him about it and just said it was armpit hair and that is how it should look. Well, I disagree.

What ya'll think?

1st pic is a regular pedestal mount, second is my buck.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Talking about what the taxidermist is calling armpit hair that is on the front right leg. I am thinking he either used a slightly too large of a mannequin or did not put the cape on properly.

I asked him about it and just said it was armpit hair and that is how it should look. Well, I disagree.

What ya'll think?

1st pic is a regular pedestal mount, second is my buck.
Use a better taxidermist. I have clients that will take their capes and horns cause they "know a guy" then tell me the following year their mount came out bad.

I use Travis Manning Custom Taxidermy in brookshire tx. Hes right off i10 and gets mounts done fast. He always has a bunch of work in there that is completed if you want to stop by and see his work.

Tell him Crocker Jr. sent you

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Travis Manning did my black buck 2 years ago and came out great. If it bothers you too much, take it somewhere like Travis and ask them about fixing it or redoing - may or may not be reasonable. If anything, bust out some scissors or trimmers and give it a little hair cut. Be less noticeable at least.

#8 ·
X2 on Travis Manning been to his shop work is absolutely amazing. If I get a blackbuck this year that’s where am taking it and all of my other taxidermy needs. The attention to detail was amazing in my opinion and pricing was very reasonable. He is very friendly and easy to work with. Here are some pictures of his work and these are not my animals.

Attachments

#12 ·
I have been using this same person for years and he has always done great work. Not sure what happened this time.
I spoke to him yesterday and I am going to be meeting him next week for him to fix it.

Not sure what he is going to do to "fix" it though....

#13 ·
Do you have a Pic of the buck after you shot him?

Post that real quick so I do not have to go through 200 pages of that thread!

#19 ·
I don't think that's a patch job. All deer are slightly different just like us humans. With that being said my opinion is he did a poor job of adjusting the skin on that mount around the brisket area. Some deer show a little white "armpit" hair on the front of the leg like in the attached picture. Do a google search and you'll find lots of pictures to back that.

I think that mannikin has a little too large of shoulders and caused the brisket area to ride up. This would cause the patterns to be off where they should align. Personally that skin should be tucked into the armpit area and only be showing white from the front

Depending on how it was preserved (DP or tanned) he may be able to soak it up and reposition it but it's gonna be tough.

#20 ·
Double Down Deer Feed

If you want to get him redone I can recommend our taxidermist and get you a new cape fir free from our ranch that matches the “old” buck you shot.
Give me a shout if you want to do that.
Here are 3 he did from our lease last season.
He puts the age in the mounts. There are several other great taxidermist but we have been happy with Boxie for sure.
These are photos off of his Facebook page.
He is a wildlife photographer and spends about 100 days a year photographing Deer in the wild. Again we are very happy with what he is doing with these older bucks. Putting age and seeing deer as old as the one you shot is one of the keys to a good mount imo.
We actually sent him pictures and he goes off to pictures of the deer while they are alive. Some have closed eyes some have swollen looking eyes he uses the pictures as judgment on how to do it.
All three of these books were 10 to 11 years old just like the one you took.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.