2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Ruined the fajitas

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DoveBucket 
#1 ·
green egg, predominantly use mesquite chunks to put a little smoke on burgers and other meats, today was fajitas. Used mesquite chunks for fajitas many times before and it is amazing. Ran out of the store bought mesquite chunks. Went to the guy down the street who sells competition wood in Mesquite, oak and others.
Chopped it down to some smaller workable chunks and used it on the fajitas today. Absolute worst bitter tasting fajita meat I’ve ever tried. Hours later I can still taste what seems like a bit into a Christmas tree. Clothes smell like I’ve been at the ranch clearing cedar all day.
Can I use too much? Was it just bad chemically treated mesquite wood or was it too green (fresh)?

#7 ·
Wood

I never add mesquite wood to a smoker, it will be bitter and strong. I only use mesquite for high temp coals and grilling. If you want to smoke like brisket or Pork butts you should use pecan, oak, hickory etc...Just my .02 and what I do

#9 ·
When you buy wood from a store in a bag that wood is kiln dried to a certain moisture level. So your cooks/smoke will be consistent. When you use natural wood or non-kiln dried wood the moisture level will vary. When you're cooking in a cooker like the BGE where you're burning a very small fire there's not a big flame to burn off excess moisture/sap, etc in wood like you have with an offset smoker so the smoke can be bitter. You can avoid this by burning smaller and less chunks and letting the wood catch fire before closing the lid. It's harder to do in a BGE for sure.

Down side to kiln dried wood is it doesn't provide the same flavor as naturally dried or seasoned wood does. There is a noticable difference in the way meat tastes. But the margin for error in a cooker like the BGE is so small you're better off using kiln dried wood.

#10 ·
Thank you everyone for your valuable responses. It all makes sense. Using the store bought mesquite, I’d throw the meat on right away and it still turned out great.
After this experience I’m actually a little discussted at the thought of grilling/smoking again soon. Tasted soooo bad I lost the appetite.

#12 ·
Read this guy’s blog

He discusses fires in detail here. https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...iring/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

What the other guys are saying about wood is probably correct.

You got greener wood (versus kiln dried) and your mesquite chunks fouled your meat. (I’ve done it) when wood is catching fire it produces undesirable smoke.
There is good and bad smoke. You can smell it.

You CAN smoke with mesquite... It’s just a different technique.

My only caveat to the blog. Is that he IS not from Texas. So some of his recipes aren’t what we’re used to. I’ve cooked a lot of em. But I end up back and salt n pepper rubs without some of the other flare he puts into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.