Cracked Transom - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
BigJake
Registered Users-pm+

BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigJake has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Had this issue on a GC 20' high side I used to have. Took it to Angels and he fixed it in less than 2 weeks and less than 2k
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Had this issue on a GC 20' high side I used to have. Took it to Angels and he fixed it in less than 2 weeks and less than 2k
Yep, same exact boat I had trouble with that brittle black foam stuff.
bwguardian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #13
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Difficult to tell exactly from the picture, but it looks almost like the exact issue I had a few years back.

I re-powered with new twins when I first noticed the aluminum bar was starting to crush in to what I thought was a transom issue, but that wasn't the case.

I had multiple places tell me I needed a new transom and $3k to $6k to fix it, and all this other work I didn't need.

The transom was fine, no wood, solid as a rock.

I took it to Mercedes and he fixed it better than new for a reasonable price, around $1,200 for entire thing, both engines had the same issue, and that included removing, and patching, an old thru-hull transducer that was not used, and some other items, nicks, cracks, cosmetic things.

The reason this just started to show up on a 1997 hull, the top cap is not bonded or not very well, and developed a gap overtime, and/or the new engines were over tightened.

Mercedes had mentioned that he has seen this quite a bit on older hulls. I even spoke with a guy that worked at the factory that built my exact model during the time it was built, and he confirmed the process, and agreed this could be a possible issue if someone on the line had a bad day or didn't add enough "filler", basically like marine grade liquid nails.

This only effects the top area of the transom where the top cap meets the transom/hull.

The issue, with the top cap not bonded, or not enough filler, over time a gap formed, allowing the transom plate to "crush" in until secure against the actual transom.

Mercedes removed the aluminum top cap angle cover, ground out the bad area out, and glassed over the top, layering up the glass until it was solid and all bonded, effectively bonding the top cap to the transom.

So now the top cap, transom/outer hull is one piece now, and no longer need the aluminum angle cover, and looks MUCH better without that aluminum angle covering the top of the transom, and potentially leaking.

He sent pictures and kept me updated. I've had him do work for me over the years and has always done excellent work, quick turn around, and a really good price.

It looks much better and no issues or worry about the seal on the aluminium angle or have issues

Fill free to send me a pm if you have questions.

Relentless

Last edited by TXFishin; 08-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message