New "Migration" In the Works - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Texas Tarpon
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #31
hb
Registered Users-pm+

hb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Pirate
New boat living up to expectations?
hb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #32
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Scott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb View Post

Hadn't made it out yet. Still finishing all the tweaks. Should know soon. Will let you know.

One thing I do know, the Lowrance Structure Scan 3d imaging is way cool!! Can't wait to get it on some tarpon. Ran over a three foot gar over the weekend and it was awesome.
Scott A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #33
hb
Registered Users-pm+

hb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Piratehb has been promoted to Pirate
Cool, 6 tarpon caught in deep sea roundup last weekend. Sure it's better up that way.
hb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #34
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Scott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb View Post

Finally got out, boat moved and finally on a decent school of fish. Didn't take long - about fifteen minutes and fish on - Thanks to Hunter for the pic.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
Bill C
Registered Users-pm+

Bill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to Pirate
Boat looks great. Are you using the same trolling strategy?
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #36
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
Boat looks great. Are you using the same trolling strategy?

So far, going to experiment on lengths but so far.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #37
texasislandboy
Snook Guide SPI

texasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Pirate
Looks like I'm flying up north to look at a 270 open. I think I'm going to pick it up as a state water offshore boat.
texasislandboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #38
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasislandboy View Post
Looks like I'm flying up north to look at a 270 open. I think I'm going to pick it up as a state water offshore boat.

Shamrock I assume? Cool. Be sure and check center console screw joints and make sure the screws aren't stripped through the deck. I haven't looked at a 270 in a while, but my recollection was that Shamrock screwed consoles and lots of other stuff (hatches, access panels, etc) through the deck to secure them. Typically, you remove them once or twice or just use the boat over the years and they all strip out and have to be re-glassed.

If you are going to tarpon fish with it, the old carburetor engines are best, because you can dial them down. If it is an EFI, you might think about getting a trolling valve installed. You should have room behind the gear for that. Just need to get the speed trolling down to under 2.2 knots.

One last thing, look at the exhaust pipes. They used to be cast iron past the exhaust risers toward the stern. They always corroded and failed. I replace mine with fiberglass at one time. If he'll let you, take the exhaust off of the elbow and look and see how bad the risers/exhaust elbows are. That will tell you a lot about the condition of the motor.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #39
texasislandboy
Snook Guide SPI

texasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Piratetexasislandboy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
Shamrock I assume? Cool. Be sure and check center console screw joints and make sure the screws aren't stripped through the deck. I haven't looked at a 270 in a while, but my recollection was that Shamrock screwed consoles and lots of other stuff (hatches, access panels, etc) through the deck to secure them. Typically, you remove them once or twice or just use the boat over the years and they all strip out and have to be re-glassed.

If you are going to tarpon fish with it, the old carburetor engines are best, because you can dial them down. If it is an EFI, you might think about getting a trolling valve installed. You should have room behind the gear for that. Just need to get the speed trolling down to under 2.2 knots.

One last thing, look at the exhaust pipes. They used to be cast iron past the exhaust risers toward the stern. They always corroded and failed. I replace mine with fiberglass at one time. If he'll let you, take the exhaust off of the elbow and look and see how bad the risers/exhaust elbows are. That will tell you a lot about the condition of the motor.

Cool good info. The 270 has a head in the console and the lean post is the motor box. Its a 2001 so it should have fiberglass logs in it. I burnt up my old shamrock exhaust. It is a EFI which is kinda good and kinda a bummer. Glad it will start all the time but it will troll faster.
texasislandboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message