Croakers are really expensive now – extremely high livewell mortality - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #31
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson34 View Post
I heard an older, matured Texas Game warden explain the difference a few years ago, we were all hunting in Colorado at the time and it went something like this… I still smile when I think about it.
The classic coastal sport fishermen buys all the Texas game licenses’ there is every year including the saltwater fishing stamp, belongs to several fishing clubs, many internet fishing/hunting forums, goes to club meeting faithfully and pays his club dues on time every year. Fishes with several $700 rods and reels with high tech linethat cost $2 ft. Throws custom made $12 green plastic worms “go-to confidence bait” with large red sparkle eyes and a motor oil tail that smells like a mixture of garlic, vomit and bacon grease all day from daylight to sundown year round summer fall and spring, fishes all day long 2 days a month his work schedule permitting, runs and guns 125 miles all over the bay like a 60 YO Nam-crabber, buys a new 60 K bay boat every 2 years, runs a 300 hp. 4 cycle Mercury motor, always hunting for and hoping to kill a 1 trophy trout. The TP&WD WARNING SIGNS posted at all the boat ramps warn fishermen don’t eat the fish – RE: Eat the fish and catch the Cancer.

The classic “meat hunter” eats what he catches. He runs a $500 used aluminum flat bottom boat with 40 hp. Yamaha, catches live bait croakers with a fish traps and shrimp with a cast net, always fishes with live croakers, menhaden, mud minnows or shrimp from June through September when the bay wateris hot, uses cheap green plastic worms the rest of the year when the water is cool, goal is to catch enough trout, flounder, red fish to fill-up a 48 qt.Igloo every trip, fishes 2-3 miles from his home, knows and fishes only the best 2 hours of the day 4 days a week, says the best days to fish are those real foggy mornings in the fall when the functional visibility is 30 ft. and the water is calm, glassy, quiet and sound travels exceptionally well. Net that 1st fish, hold the net at the water surface and let that fish splash the water 20-30 seconds before it’s boxed. Says that splashing attracts fish.

Fish Limits…a few years back there were no trout limits, then 20 trout limits, then therewas 10, in a couple weeks the limit will be 5 trout 2-3 lbs. of fillets if you are fishing birds. I can see a 1 trout limit for sport fishermen easily 10 years this September.

Pound for pound, fish cost more than deer. Kroger’s fish cost less thancatching it.
there is some truth to that, however there are some high dollar city slickers hammering down like it's nobodies business these days. it's not only po-duck-Mississippi's, catching fish. sit at the cleaning tables every now and again, you may want to let the warden know this is a different time and place. now keep in mind 5% of the fishermen catch 95% of the fish, but the 5% isn't necessarily po-duck-Mississippi's. social media and electronics have been a game changer.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #32
TeXasWaterMan
Registered Users-pm+

TeXasWaterMan is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
HA HA HA !!! Love it... honestly though water temp in your live well most likely is getting the death rates up over normal. It sucks but that's what happens I usually run my bigger live well over the bait well when its hot to have more water with the bait, also you gotta dump a few scoops of ice in that water. But honestly If you find the fish Shrimp works just as well as croakers in most cases, the reason croakers out do shrimp in summer in most cases is people fish shrimp under a cork, keeping the shrimp up in the water column, that croaker is down low to the bottom and that's where the fish are in the heat! try a shrimp on that croaker rig and see what happens. Tight Lines !!! Yank Hard....!
TeXasWaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #33
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXasWaterMan View Post
HA HA HA !!! Love it... honestly though water temp in your live well most likely is getting the death rates up over normal. It sucks but that's what happens I usually run my bigger live well over the bait well when its hot to have more water with the bait, also you gotta dump a few scoops of ice in that water. But honestly If you find the fish Shrimp works just as well as croakers in most cases, the reason croakers out do shrimp in summer in most cases is people fish shrimp under a cork, keeping the shrimp up in the water column, that croaker is down low to the bottom and that's where the fish are in the heat! try a shrimp on that croaker rig and see what happens. Tight Lines !!! Yank Hard....!
You got a point on rigging the shrimp deep, problem is every little fish in the bay will eat them. A big croaker limits the predators.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #34
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXasWaterMan View Post
try a shrimp on that croaker rig and see what happens. Tight Lines !!! Yank Hard....!
I do that some. I have a couple of spots where the fish hold in a deep hole and they hold down deep. I use a croaker rattle weight and pinch on a couple more split shot over it. I use a 2/0 or 3/0 kahle hook and fairly big shrimp and drift them down into that hole. Let the current carry them through and adjust my weight until I can keep it just off bottom. It's deadly but you have to have a good feel for it. They don't thump it like a croaker, usually the line just stops. It does work.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #35
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSST View Post
You got a point on rigging the shrimp deep, problem is every little fish in the bay will eat them. A big croaker limits the predators.
Very true. If you are drifting 5 or 6 foot of water and drop that shrimp down under a cork to be within the bottom foot you will catch a ton more 'panfish' and 'trashfish'. Sometimes you gotta do it to get a decent trout bite though.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #36
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
I'm not gonna lie, I bet it's been 15 years since I drift fished. Usually in the water, or anchored out on deeper reefs. Bet yeah, I remember playing with the corks and trying to find the right depth.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #37
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

fishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson34 View Post
Buy 12 @ 6 AM,hope to keep 5 alive and fishable by the time you launch the boat. Plastic baits are cheaper than croakers today.

We expect abnormally high croaker mortality around Galveston Bay as well as abnormally high tournament fish kills too throughout Texas this week end. Global warming is alive and well, happening today and will definitely continue for a while.
https://www.weather.gov/hgx/ Click on “Dangerous Heat Continues”

Hydrate,hydrate, hydrate, apply sun screen often and buy plenty croakers.
We’re headed to the jetties this morning with a box full of golden croakers.

Did you croaker honey hole dry up? I thought you were catching dozens in a castnet on every cast.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #38
JJohnson34
Registered Users-pm+

JJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
The croaker hole

My little croake rhole (a very, very small estuary tributary maybe 4’ wide) is always productive for young croakers, mud minnows, mullet and shrimp depending on the time of year,tide break and moon stage. A couple throws with a 6’ net will go it. Drive up to it, a 40’ walk off the road on a little trail back into the sea cane. Can’t actually see the little ditch from the road, it’s not marked. There are many little places like this easy to get to and even more with a boat around the bay system.

TP&WD Commercial Licenses– selling live croakers for bait https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_0345_a0900_application_for_dealer_license.pdf
JJohnson34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #39
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon lures

eliminate trash fish nibbling on your high priced over rated stinky bait. i used to drown shrimp and do the croaker crawl, but it's been eons. it was quite a bit cheaper in the day.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #40
ltppowell
Registered Users-pm+

ltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirate
Freeze bottles of water and drop them in your bait well periodically. That's what the guys who catch them do.
ltppowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message