Sheepshead on artificial? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonny View Post
However i dont keep fiddler crabs or shrimp as pets so i need ideas on artificials to quickly work the marina length.
I'm not really sure what this means, but the next time you eat some shrimp, set the smallest 2 or 3 aside and freeze them until you're ready to catch sheepshead. I spent many hours in the 80s catching sheepies from the sides of the SLP pier pilings and the number one bait without question was shrimp. In my experience, there may be a food they'd rather eat, but they won't turn their nose up at a motionless piece of shrimp. The best part, IMO, is the last joint before the tail, with the shell still on it but the tail torn off. We used #10 trebles back then, but I use small circle hooks now. The problem with small hooks is their jaws will flatten a hook in a heartbeat, so if you can find a small circle hook that is double weight, that would be best. For how to rig, I use a split shot to get it down and do not use a cork, lots of false alarms with a cork.
ReedA1691 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Wife uses tiny rattle traps and catches quite a few, it's always funny to see people surprised when she pulls in 6, 7, 8... and on. It appears to me that she annoys the heck out of them running that thing back and forth until they hit it just to shut it up. Those things mutilate the little treble hooks on the tiny traps, need to find her some tougher trebles to switch out. I tried it and can't do it, perhaps I'm not annoying enough.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Jhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
I'm not really sure what this means, but the next time you eat some shrimp, set the smallest 2 or 3 aside and freeze them until you're ready to catch sheepshead. I spent many hours in the 80s catching sheepies from the sides of the SLP pier pilings and the number one bait without question was shrimp. In my experience, there may be a food they'd rather eat, but they won't turn their nose up at a motionless piece of shrimp. The best part, IMO, is the last joint before the tail, with the shell still on it but the tail torn off. We used #10 trebles back then, but I use small circle hooks now. The problem with small hooks is their jaws will flatten a hook in a heartbeat, so if you can find a small circle hook that is double weight, that would be best. For how to rig, I use a split shot to get it down and do not use a cork, lots of false alarms with a cork.
Good advice, thanks. I didnt mean to sound offensive, it was a joke that I dont have them live at home at all times,to go guns blazing when when i spot big ones during evening walks
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
Jray0920
Jaime Ray

Jray0920 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I caught one on a catch 2000, went straight to my buddy about 10 ft away from me, he netted him and attempted to remove the lure with his hand. Big mistake, heard him yell and saw his thumb being chomped down with those big chompers, was holarious!
Jray0920 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #15
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Good advice, thanks. I didnt mean to sound offensive, it was a joke that I dont have them live at home at all times,to go guns blazing when when i spot big ones during evening walks
That would have been my bet , and I was not offended. Other natural baits that can be easily stored frozen and work great for both sheeps and flounder is belly strips. When you're cleaning fish, cut the belly meat into strips and chunks with the scales still on.
ReedA1691 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #16
hookman
Registered Users-pm+

hookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Piratehookman has been promoted to Pirate
Caught one recently sight casting on some shallow rocks using a saltwater spinner bait with white curly-tailed Gulp on the jig head.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
That would have been my bet , and I was not offended. Other natural baits that can be easily stored frozen and work great for both sheeps and flounder is belly strips. When you're cleaning fish, cut the belly meat into strips and chunks with the scales still on.
DO NOT DO THIS WITH GAME FISH!!! It is very illegal to use game fish as bait. But non game fish this works great.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #18
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
DO NOT DO THIS WITH GAME FISH!!! It is very illegal to use game fish as bait. But non game fish this works great.
It's only illegal if you get caught. The problem is, 90% of fishermen don't even know what a game fish is. Most people think that just because a fish has a size and bag limit, that it's a game fish. I have the game warden's called on me all the time for using drum, sheepshead, gafftop, or flounder for shark bait.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #19
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Jhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
It's only illegal if you get caught. The problem is, 90% of fishermen don't even know what a game fish is. Most people think that just because a fish has a size and bag limit, that it's a game fish. I have the game warden's called on me all the time for using drum, sheepshead, gafftop, or flounder for shark bait.

That makes no sense. Its illegal after its been declared so, period. You only get away with it if you are not caught. That applies to any illegal activity. I mean im not saying death penalty, but still.
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #20
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
That makes no sense. Its illegal after its been declared so, period. You only get away with it if you are not caught. That applies to any illegal activity. I mean im not saying death penalty, but still.
I didn't say I do it, I just said it's only illegal if you get caught. It's no different than speeding, drinking and driving, or cheating on your taxes. There's nothing better for catching big speckled trout then baby speckled trout, or so I've heard.

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message