POC family trip - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
DR_Smith
Registered Users-pm+

DR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to Pirate
POC family trip

So I am heading down to POC this wkend and have not fished there in a few years. My past fishing has always been lots of wade fishing from grass island, South pass areas, and other spots, but never really targeted trout strictly from the boat. I have a 10 yr old daughter who loves to fish, a wife who enjoys it and a 3 yr old son, so wade fishing is out of the question. I’m not looking for trophy trout or any secret type spots, but besides the surf / jetties if it’s calm, are there some decent spots right now to anchor off and catch some trout on shrimp or possible croaker for the kids. Not looking for limits, just to catch fish beside hard heads!
I have thought of drifting the back side of grass island depending on wind and current or possible guts or drifting around light house cove or the island in front of big jetties. My main goal is just to let the kids catch some fish and experience it and try to get them excited.
You can pm me if you would like or just post in open.
Thank you in advance.
DR_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Coast Guard flats, Any deeper flats closer to the big jetties, Also the south shoreline of west matty is holding some fish if you can make the run.. granted winds are supposed to be up a little Sat and Sunday. The area between Bill Days and north shoreline holds some fish, but they are small. Good luck with your family and have fun. August is a tough month to catch decent sized trout but you should be able to get them on some little ones.. .use live shrimp would be my suggestion.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
BURTONboy
Registered Users-pm+

BURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to PirateBURTONboy has been promoted to Pirate
POC family trip

Decros point on an out going tide. Fish the gut. Was down there boatless two weeks ago and caught some solid trout off the litte jetties about 3/4 way down fishing the intercoastal side. We we were free lining shrimp with an 1/8 oz jig head. They key was to get the shrimp down through the small fish before they picked you clean. Get through and you catch good fish. Also had about a 20” flounder but it got off while dragging it up the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
DR_Smith
Registered Users-pm+

DR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to PirateDR_Smith has been promoted to Pirate
Thank you both, I appreciate the info. Keeper trout is always a plus but I’m mainly going to just let them get the excitement of seeing a cork go under and feeling them in, teaching daughter more on how to cast better, feel the bite, set the hook.. those type of things. She loves to fish so I figured I better help her as best as I can!
Thank you all again.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
chicapesca
For the Fish!!

chicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Pirate
When it is just my 7 year old granddaughter and I, we head down the canal towards the Sanctuary and fish on the left side wherever the tall grass is and we catch trout of all sizes and a redfish every now and then using either a carolina rig or cork rig with live shrimp.
chicapesca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
Got Tail
Registered Users-pm+

Got Tail is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
ICW is full of trout also the outside of grass island. We fish the ICW around the cut going to dewberry. With the kiddos you'll kill them on shrimp but we used popping corks with plastics. A lot of dinks but you'll catch some keepers as well. I have kids too and it keep them busy last weekend.
Got Tail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
DR_Smith
Registered Users-pm+

Definitely like the ICW, but wasn’t sure how it was as it’s an easy overlooked spot. That will probably be a for sure spot.
I assume it’s still too early for the bigger reds and drum to be running through mitchels or coast guard?
Thanks again for the reminders and ICW info!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
Got Tail
Registered Users-pm+

Got Tail is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_Smith View Post
Definitely like the ICW, but wasn’t sure how it was as it’s an easy overlooked spot. That will probably be a for sure spot.
I assume it’s still too early for the bigger reds and drum to be running through mitchels or coast guard?
Thanks again for the reminders and ICW info!

Yea I never fished the ICW in POC until last year. I fished the land cut with a buddy last year then headed to POC the next weekend. Decided to give it a try and was amazed. We haven't caught the sizes like the land cut but I think they are there. Last weekend we caught trout, rat reds and one over size red, gafftop and skipjack all on plastics. Just watch out for the barges had to move a couple times when they were going by. Good luck let us know how you did.
Got Tail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Yeah, still a good month out. I like the ICW idea as well, winds are supposed to kick up this weekend, so that would be a nice calm spot, except for boat wakes.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
Aggieangler
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)

Aggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to Pirate
We've had some good days along the ICW near Charlies when it was too windy to do much else. I often overlook it when we are hauling through there, but even when I was a kid, there were spots along the ICW we could target on the way from POC to the Army hole.
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message