Sheepshead on artificial? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Jhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to Gunner
Question Sheepshead on artificial?

Did tons of googling on how to catch sheepshead on artificial with little to now results, probably because there is none ideal for them, heh.

But i live by the marina and i see them just chillin by the walls evrery other week and i really really want to catch them. However i dont keep fiddler crabs or shrimp as pets so i need ideas on artificials to quickly work the marina length.

So far i tried vudu shrmps, 3d japanese shrimps, desperation crank bairs, spoons to make my neighbors laugh lol. even some bass gear like worms and frogs.

They just aint biting. Any suggestions? I mean something fun besides live shrimp etc.

Last resort imma buy a bow and robin hood them
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
EastTexasRancher
Registered Users-pm+

EastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to Pirate
Sheepshead don’t like artificial lures anymore than cows like AstroTurf.
EastTexasRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
RedFlounderBass
Bayou Burner

RedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasRancher View Post
Sheepshead don’t like artificial lures anymore than cows like AstroTurf.
I believe they don’t-But I’ve caught them occasionally on artificial. Vudu Shrimp,Swimbaits/Paddletails, crankbaits, mirrolures, etc.Mostly bycatch from Red and Trout Fishing. I believe they’re so territorial, it’s a reaction strike. I’m pretty sure they’ll eat a fly like a champ too.
Name:  B0A750BB-F040-44D9-B04F-6851B1352D5A.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  0B57D655-F6B1-4611-B41E-84E526E52B0D.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  83.4 KB
RedFlounderBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
They'll take Gulp and Fishbites on a slow presentation, dangling it under cork works pretty good. At close range they can be very spooky, though. Docks, piers, pilings and bulkheads hold lots of barnacles, one of their primary food sources.
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I’ve gotten quite a few on various saltwater type flies like borski sliders, redfish crack and shrimp patterns.
They aren’t as prone to chase down a fly as maybe a redfish would, but they will usually take a look at a crab like or shrimp looking pattern if it’s in their line of sight and they don’t get spooked first.
karstopo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
They eat gulps, problem is most gulps are too big and they just bite it off right behind the hook.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Lat22
Registered Users-pm+

Lat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to Pirate
I’d try a fishbite.
Lat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
atcfisherman
Saved by the Grace of God

atcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
I caught 2 sheepheads this past Saturday using a crank bait by rocks. Before this, I could only catch them on small crabs.
atcfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
DOA shrimp, small Gulp shrimp and Gulp grubs
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
use something small and crustacean like.. they'll eat.