Thermal scope. Which is best? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
Righand
Registered Users-pm+

Righand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateRighand has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Whoops, auto correct. That should be Mansfield just outside of Dallas.
Righand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
I have used a lot of them.
I run TacticalGunreview.com and have tested a bunch and my buddy owns Downrangethermal.com

Also been hunting with Todd Huey, Lonestar boars, and Huey Outdoors.

really need to match your hunting conditions and expectations with budget

There is big difference between detection and absolute positive identification.
Most of them can detect "something" in that field 500 yards or more..

Now, being able to know if that is a hog or young calf in the spring is a whole different thing. If you want to be able to detect stuff, get in close (like 100 yards or under) and take the shot the lower end ones (2-2500) will be fine (like the discontinued PTS233)

If you want to be able absolutely postively id stuff and be able to take 500 yard shots it is going to cost you a lot.

Right now, if I could drop 5-6k it would be on an Nvision.

I got to test the Puslar XP50 II handheld last weekend.. that was a nice unit
able to clearly id deer out at 3-400 yards

another thing is it is hard to judge distance and thus size..
I have shot small pigs thinking they were bigger and further away and they are like 20 yards away, not 75

At our lease, we get out, drive around, stalk into feeders with the wind at our face and like to get under 50 yards, I like hearing them munch on corn and all the grunts and noises they make.

The PTS233 was great for that and with such a low magnification you had a wide field of view. Once the first shot happens, even suppressed, even with suppressed sub sonics they start running.. having a scope at 5-6x isn't good for that situation.
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
easoutdoors
Registered Users-pm+

easoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirate
Thermal

The pic in pic on the pulsar thermion xp50 is awesome. And a feature you can not do without. You can leave the scope pic in low magnification and zoom the pic in pic from the base magnification to max at 16. This give you the best of both worlds. Big field of view and zoomed in in the same view. Depth perception is an issue in all thermal scopes. It takes some time to get familiar with animal images at different distances. An armadillo at close range looks a lot like a pig at a further distance. They both have the same slope on the rear and both are rooting around. The zoomed in pic in pic will show the pig has big ears and the armadillo does not. The $5,000. price tag is a lot of money. Ultimate Night Vision was very good on price and helpful customer service. I would recommend getting the larger PL79161 as second battery. And get a large pack of hot hands to use on paper targets to get it zeroed and dialed in.
easoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 AM   #14
NFAJohn
Registered Users-pm+

NFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to PirateNFAJohn has been promoted to Pirate
Nvision. Period. The best warranty and absolutely insane image quality. Same guts that are in a trijicon mk3 60mm but you get 5 years of warranty as opposed to 3. I run the 50mm now and had the 25mm. I have a running review of both over on snipers hide.

Flags at 1050 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NFAJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message