2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Marine Kill Switch with Lanyard thought

7K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  impulse 
#1 ·
As you all know, it is now law to have your kill switch lanyard attached while operating your boat. A very good idea. But yesterday as my partner and I were running out to the jetties a thought crossed my mind.

What if I fell overboard while tethered to the throttle?

Now I am in the frigid water (thankfully wearing my inflatable life jacket), but I also have the kill switch lanyard attached to my vest!

So how will my partner start the motor to come back and rescue me????

I told my partner we need to purchase a second kill with lanyard and hang it next to the throttle.

Any thought on this?

#4 ·
Just my opinion, and I have no idea what the new law says as to exactly when the kill switch needs to be attached. But if I'm positioning at the jetties preparing to set anchor, or idling up to a shoreline to wade, or at the dock coming or going, I do not want my engine cutting out because I need to go do something else on the boat - that is dangerous. Your scenario is one reason why, but even more innocently, if I am idling up to a shoreline quietly, and I move forward to get the anchor out, I don't want to shut down only to start the engine up again. This is an issue when fishing alone. But more critically, when I am positioning to set anchor at the jetties, I never want my engine off until I am 100% sure (plus a couple of extra check) that my anchor is set before I shut down.

#7 ·
Old Habits are hard to break

To be totally honest, I have owned and operated boats for over 30 years and until recently rarely wore a life jacket or used my kill switch lanyard.

For the past several years I never leave land without first putting on my inflatable life vest and in the last year have started using the kill switch lanyard regularly...

I still find myself forgetting to hook this to my life vest occasionally when I take off and I have forgotten I had it on and went to move from the wheel and pulled the kill switch. Like any old habit it will take some time to retrain myself...

Especially at my age:)

#8 ·
I fish alone a lot. Last weekend, while stopped and fishing, I was moving from the back of my boat to the front, and was walking the gunnel. As I was about to step off the starboard gunnel to the bow, I did a little wobble....threw my hands out to steady myself, and then was fine.

I had my inflatable PFD on, but it made me stop and take stock. I'm not 16 anymore. A little wobble, a slip, catch the back of my noggin....and, I don't wanna think about the rest.

Wisdom, which is a blender-mix of age and experience, tells you that you the PFD, kill-switch lanyard, etc...are actually good things.

#9 ·
I hadn't read the law yet, but heard one went into effect. I am glad to know it doesn't apply when not under headway speed, as I have tried to put the boat on the trailer a few times recently with the lanyard on, and it was wrapping around the steering wheel. Worst case scenario in a tight harbor!

#10 ·
I have an older , 2000 model Johnson 150 and it has a mechanical or friction set up on the ignition switch that does not remove the key rather just turns it to off position and it works. while I have not gone overboard I have tried to move around the boat only to have the engine shut off. Was only idling so no big deal but the design takes the issue of the table about needing a second one on board. Not sure how the new Johnson/evinrudes of late work but the feature on my motor takes the issue the timeout brings up off the table.

#11 ·
Here is a good summary from news-journal.com:
“Back in 2012, near Port Aransas, 16 year old Kali Gorzell was struck and killed by a propeller. The new law was named in remembrance of the young lady. The law requires boaters or operators of boats less than 26 feet in length that are equipped with an ignition safety kill switch to use it whenever the vessel is moving at greater than headway speed. Headway speed is defined as slow, idle speed, or speed only fast enough to maintain steerage on course.”
I heard a radio interview with Kali’s dad. Heartbreaking. The boiled down story was that the boat did an end-swap and threw her out, along with the operator who was a family friend. Can’t remember if he was thrown out entirely or just thrown away from the console, either way I remember him saying the kill-switch would’ve saved her

I’m trained in tactical boat operations and will share this little pearl of information with you that we learned; attach the lanyard to your boot to avoid tangling it in the steering or pulling it by accident while reaching for something. It’s much more convenient than on the wrist or on the PFD and just as effective and stays in compliance.

#12 ·
And forgot to mention...$200 can retro-fit your existing lanyard style shut-off with a wireless model. The wireless models also can be expanded to include additional sensors that will sound an alarm if a passenger goes overboard. Ain’t technology great?!

#16 ·
I wear an inflatable PFD. I attach the kill switch to the D ring on the PFD. Throw on the PFD before I get underway and throw on the dash when I stop. Doesn’t really get in my way. I have killed the motor a few times when I went to reach for something about to blow out.

There were times I didn’t put it on when conditions were good and I’m familiar with area but I always do now that it’s the law.

I bought 3 extra inflatable PFDs a couple years ago at the BASS fishing show when the Academy booth had them on sale for $75. I always offer them to guests but don’t “require” them to be worn unless weather is really bad or running in the dark.

#27 ·
I wear an inflatable PFD. I attach the kill switch to the D ring on the PFD. Throw on the PFD before I get underway and throw on the dash when I stop. Doesn’t really get in my way. I have killed the motor a few times when I went to reach for something about to blow out.

There were times I didn’t put it on when conditions were good and I’m familiar with area but I always do now that it’s the law.

I bought 3 extra inflatable PFDs a couple years ago at the BASS fishing show when the Academy booth had them on sale for $75. I always offer them to guests but don’t “require” them to be worn unless weather is really bad or running in the dark.
Just so you're aware, inflatables must be worn at all times while onboard to be legal. I wear an inflatable all the time, but keep conventional PFDs on board to stay in compliance in the event someone removes their inflatable.

#17 · (Edited)
Even though I know it could save my life in a severe accident, I'm resisting wearing my helmet while driving my mini van. Until they make it a law...

Somewhere, a line has to be drawn. I'm not really confident in our government's ability to draw that line for each of us. The OP and some other posters have given some good reasons.

Edit: One thing I have done on my kill switch lanyards is to replace the ridiculously cheap belt clips with nice carabiners. I still find myself forgetting to unclip when moving around the boat at idle. But when I do remember, it's a lot easier to clip in and unclip without ripping a belt loop.

#22 ·
This is what I have been using for the last 5-years. Some of you will recognize it. It is a line clip for downriggers. I use fishing pants with the zip-off bottoms, right at that connection is a little flap. I latch it to that flap, which is low enough to not interfere with the steering wheel.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
My concern with that system is that, in a tug of war between the kill switch release and the outrigger release, the outrigger release may do what it's designed to do before the kill switch release.

Especially if you happen to be pulling the kill switch release at an odd angle or around a corner or two- not uncommon when the boat swaps ends or tosses you out.

#23 ·
I keep a spare key and kill switch in the safety/first aid box on my boat. I also have a spare key and lanyard at the house. I tell people where it is before we go fishing. I have been thrown out of a boat while driving. I was wearing my kill switch and when I went over, I took the kill switch with me and it shut the motor down. Unfortunately, the float that I had on my key had wrapped around the lanyard and it was pulled out and overboard with me. The little ball chain broke and while I found the float in the water, the key was at the bottom somewhere. I had to call a friend to go pick up my spare key from the house and bring it to us on the water. That's why I carry a spare of both.

Yamaha and Suzuki motors will not start without the little widget in place. Some Merc motors use a toggle switch and it can be manually switched back to the run position without a kill switch lanyard attached and some cannot run without it. Evinrude motors can be started and run without the kill switch in place but generally anything over a fast idle will cause the kill circuit to engage and shut the motor down.

#28 ·
I installed a FellMarine MOB+ wireless kill switch and couldn't be happier with it. I never forget to attach it or detach it because the fob is always on me. If I go in the water, a passenger can restart the motor after a few seconds without having to do anything. I also like that I can move about the boat at low speeds to take care of a trolling rod, etc., and still be protected.

#29 ·
My $ .02, since no one else has mentioned this. If you go overboard with lanyard, boat can be started and run by pushing button in with your finger and holding it in. (Some may be designed to be pulled up, my Merc has to be pushed in) You will have to keep finger on it till you get to the man overboard with the lanyard. If the button is released, it will kill engine, could be a chore to drive/shift and hold button down, but will work in a pinch-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.