2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Weekend Camping Trip

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mblanco2000 
#1 ·
I am planning a weekend surf fishing trip this weekend. Even with he storm in the gulf it looks like the wind through Sunday should be light. I am planning on taking out the Kayak and doing some trout fishing.

I am looking for some good places to possibly camp on the beach. Looking for a place where not too many folks might be. If I have to put in somewhere and then paddle to the camp site that would be fine too. I am completely new to this, and just looking for good spots to camp/fish for a few days.

I live in Houston, and am willing to drive south to about Matagorda area. If anyone else would want to meet up that is totally cool with me.

#7 ·
Well thanks for the info. I thought with the storm stalling down south there might be opportunity to do some beach camping somewhere. I did not know the tides were getting that high.

Guess I need an alternate plan. Wife and kids are gone. Need to find a place to take the kayak for sure.

#13 ·
Thanks for the tip on not beach camping. I ended up down at Matagorda. I camped on the bay side on some higher ground. In the morning around 3a there were a ton of people fleeing the beach that were on there.

So thanks for the tip, but where do I go to find how high the actual tide will be, and how do you interpret those numbers?

This is one website that I go to in order to look at tides. I typically just look at when high and low tide are, but I have no idea how to see how large the tide surge will be, and then once you know how high/low the surge will be how would you know if that is out of the norm?

Thanks guys.

#8 ·
I had a great kayak trip to East Bay yesterday. Launched at Stingaree, bought a pint of live shrimp and peddled just past the entrance to the bay. Caught 2 to 3 dozen specks (most undersize), drum, sand trout and croakers. It was a great catching trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.