Mono vs Braid vs Fluorocarbon Line - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Mono vs Braid vs Fluorocarbon Line

Didn’t want to hi jack the thread on mono line so I thought I would get thoughts on pros and cons on the different types of lines. I really like braid but find it a little expensive since I am now on a fixed income.

I have setups in both braid and mono. Since I fish braid more than mono, when I do fish mono it seems very stretchy and I feel like I miss a lot of hookups. I’ve thought about fluorocarbon because it doesn’t have as much stretch, or a hybrid.

Any helpful thoughts or thoughts on a less expensive alternative to braid. I love the sensitivity of braid. Thanks
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Of all the expenses of going fishing your line is very cheap. Spool it up with braid for the sensitivity. Use a 4-6ft section of leader (mono or fluoro - i use Big Game) and you wont use much braid at all when retying use till that leader is less than a foot then retie another leader. Should last you years like this.

5 years from now if your braid is too fraid or doesnt fill your spool enough....take it off....refill the gap with mono....flip the braid opposite direction amd what was against the spool arbor is now brand new line ready for next 5 years.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Dubdee
Registered Users-pm+

Dubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to PirateDubdee has been promoted to Pirate
Forget the fluoro. Braid with a mono leader is the way to go.
Dubdee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Jaysand247
Registered Users-pm+

Jaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to Pirate
I do exactly what sgerm does.. I use 15 lb big game backer 30 lb suffix 832 and 20 or 30 lb big game for leader.. I've never had a fish get to the backing and I've caught 35 inch reds on my set up.. I can usually straighten the hook before I break off when snagged.
Jaysand247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the replies.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
GuyFromHuntsville
Not a Newbie

GuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to PirateGuyFromHuntsville has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Of all the expenses of going fishing your line is very cheap. Spool it up with braid for the sensitivity. Use a 4-6ft section of leader (mono or fluoro - i use Big Game) and you wont use much braid at all when retying use till that leader is less than a foot then retie another leader. Should last you years like this.

5 years from now if your braid is too fraid or doesnt fill your spool enough....take it off....refill the gap with mono....flip the braid opposite direction amd what was against the spool arbor is now brand new line ready for next 5 years.
^^^^THIS^^^

Academy has a 300 yard spool of Power Pro for $19.99. That's enough to do two reels. Braid can easily last 5 years using a leader line. That means that it costs you $2.00 per year, per reel. I imagine that you spend more than that on reel oil.
GuyFromHuntsville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
...if your braid is too fraid or doesnt fill your spool enough....take it off....refill the gap with mono....flip the braid opposite direction amd what was against the spool arbor is now brand new...

I've been touting this for ten years every time the topic comes up.
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
fieldsfishing
Registered Users-pm+

fieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Braid to a Mono leader. Used to use fluoro for leader, but there are some great mono lines out there right now that are very stout and also offer that little bit of stretch.
fieldsfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
I only use braid, the only problem I run into with it is stopping mid cast. No backlash, just every now and then it will slam to a stop in mid air. Don't know what causes it.
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Braid is so slick it bites down into itself. So anytime you catch a fish or even simply the pressure of setting the hook with no fish there will pull that line down into the rest of the spool. Then you reel and cast again. When your line gets to that point on the spool it comes to an abrubt stop with no backlash due to the line snugged down into the rest of the spool.

You see this a lot with any braid size under 30# test. Although 40# test is way overkill it will limit the braid spool bite on hook set.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message