Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
chisco713
Registered Users-pm+

chisco713 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Bought boat but title is signed by owner and seller

So I just bought a boat and I have both titles signed by the owner but the guy I bought it from signed it aswell already and never put it in his name so I've tried to contact the original owner maybe he could get a replacement titles but havent got a reply back so what I'm wondering is if anyone has went through the process of filling this paper work with tpw Request to Skip Titling Requirement of Previous Owner(s) (PWD 1238) and if so how long does it take I appreciate any help thanks
chisco713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Not really a way around it that I know of. The guy you bought the boat, motor, and trailer from needs to go to TPWD and the courthouse and tansfer titles into his name...he will have to pay fees, taxes, etc. The new titles will take a couple weeks to get, so in the mean time, I would get your money back from him until he gets new titles.
bwguardian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
BFI-TX
Registered Users-pm+

BFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to Pirate
^^^^^^^. For real, get your money back, like today! You didn't buy a boat. You took possession of someone else's boat and just gained a world of headaches. I know, I did that once. In my case the title holder had passed away. I ended up pretty much giving the boat (old but nice (McKee Craft), motor (strong running 85 hp Evinrude), and trailer (like new sportsman) away (after I got the motor running)to get rid of the headache. I told the guy that bought it he could name his own price; with the understanding that what he was buying was a headache that might take 6 months to a year to gain a title. There is a lost title process. The paperwork has to be filed with the state. They attempt to contact the title holder. If unsuccessful, they post it on there website and take other measures then after a long period of time IF it is uncontested you will get title. In my case, that was waaaaay more trouble than I was willing to endure for a maybe. I wish you well and hope it all works out BUT.. be careful. If it wasnt dirt and I mean dirt cheap, I would run, run, run like the wind. Just my opinion.. . But, based on actual experience. If the person your trying to do business has the title with the owners signature AND the TP&W forms for all 3 titles, he needs to bite the bullet and poney up for the new titles. If it has been over 30 days since he took possession there will be some seriously hefty fines for late payment on the sales tax. The state dont play when it comes to getting there piece if the action. I also did that once with a,truck. I gitcsuper byst with wirk and forgot all about the title transfer. My wife out the documents "somewhere safe". I stumbled across them like 3-4 months later. They hit me hard in penalties and fines. Do yourself a favor, get your money back and tell the dude It will be waiting for him when he gets the mess taken care of. My 2 cents...do with it what you will.
BFI-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
thedudeabides
Registered Users-pm+

thedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunner
Why would you contact the original owner?

You need to go back to your seller. Maybe you can offer to chip in to pay some of the fines to ease the pain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
chisco713
Registered Users-pm+

chisco713 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Why would you contact the original owner?

You need to go back to your seller. Maybe you can offer to chip in to pay some of the fines to ease the pain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Because the original owner is the person on the title and hes the only one that can get me replacement titles
chisco713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
acassidy
Registered Users-pm+

acassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirate
You need to get the seller to transfer it to his name and then transfer it to you. Look on Texas Parks and Wildlife boat registration. The if he only has the title and doesnt have anything else filled out he may the original owner to sign the application, if that is the case then contact the original owner and have him fill out the transfer form.

Transfer it to the sellers name and then have the seller fill the application and sign the new title and have it transferred to you.

This is the only way I know of.
acassidy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
rpmsports
Registered Users-pm+

rpmsports is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
The guy you bought it from needs to title it in his name and then sign his title to you. Sounds like he's trying to avoid paying taxes and registration fees on his purchase. Get your money back in the meantime; motivation to get that handled properly.
rpmsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
jetcycles
just another FNG!!!

jetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Piratejetcycles has been promoted to Pirate
Buyer beware!!!
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco713 View Post
Because the original owner is the person on the title and hes the only one that can get me replacement titles
No, as others have said your seller is the one that will do it. He doesn't want to because it will cost him money and taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
Not really a way around it that I know of. The guy you bought the boat, motor, and trailer from needs to go to TPWD and the courthouse and tansfer titles into his name...he will have to pay fees, taxes, etc. The new titles will take a couple weeks to get, so in the mean time, I would get your money back from him until he gets new titles.
This, but if you trust the guy you don't necessarily have to get your money back.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
The speckled horn
Registered Users-pm+

The speckled horn is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Classic case of Title jumping (which you might remind him is illegal in this state). Others above hit the nail on the head. Gotta get your money back till they clear the titling issue or it'll never get settled.
The speckled horn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message