Vinyl plank flooring DIY question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Stuart
Borders, language, culture

Stuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to Pirate
Vinyl plank flooring DIY question

Doing a remodel on my childhood home and considering this option. The house is 70' x 30' slab construction and there are 2 x 4 s laying on their sides stretching from one side to the other. They are on no more than 16" centers. The portion of the house that has linoleum has plywood on top of 2 x 4s. The hardwood I need to take up sits directly on the 2 x 4s.

So question is will 5mm-7mm thick vinyl planks be able to sit directly on the 2 x 4s like the hardwood is now, or will I have to put plywood down in those areas?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Clifford Crump
Aquaholic

Clifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Stuart,

You will need a sub floor my friend (plywood)
Clifford Crump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
gater
Gater

gater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirate
Floor

^This, minimum 3/4” and I would put an adhesive on top of the 2x4’s before putting the plywood down.
gater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Why are you taking up the hardwood? For that matter, why are there 2x4's over the concrete slab?
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
Stuart

Stuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to PirateStuart has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Crump View Post
Stuart,

You will need a sub floor my friend (plywood)
That's what I would think as well, but I had a guy a LL tell me I'd be fine and got me all fishmeckled. My only issue with a subfloor is what kind of transitions I will have into the bedrooms, but 5-7mm planks are only about 1/4" thick so I think I'll be fine.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
Why are you taking up the hardwood? For that matter, why are there 2x4's over the concrete slab?
I'm not taking all of it up. I took a load bearing wall out and turned two each 15' x 21' rooms into one big 30' x 21' room. One of the rooms has hardwood. I guess I could try to match it but I think you would always be able to tell.

What I would like to do is take that up and move it to the one bedroom that does not have the original hardwood floors.

As far as the 2 x 4s , I guess that is the way they did things in 1961. I also found that the ceiling drywall is not nailed to the joists. There are 1 x 4 strips that it is nailed to. This house is built like a BSH lol. Has real pine wood instead of this balsa wood stuff in the cookie-cutter houses of today.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Charlietunakiller
Registered Users-pm+

Charlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to PirateCharlietunakiller has been promoted to Pirate
tuna

3/4 t&g with subfloor glue nailed every 8".
Charlietunakiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Clifford Crump
Aquaholic

Clifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerClifford Crump has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
They do make a number of diff transition pieces that can help you out, the gluing of the subfloor will help with noises when walking on the floor. Not sure why the 2x4's on a slab but if that's the case I would roll some insulation in-between to help with the floor temp in the winter while its all exposed.
Clifford Crump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
JFolm
Unorthodox Millenial

JFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'm not taking all of it up. I took a load bearing wall out and turned two each 15' x 21' rooms into one big 30' x 21' room. One of the rooms has hardwood. I guess I could try to match it but I think you would always be able to tell.

What I would like to do is take that up and move it to the one bedroom that does not have the original hardwood floors.

You could probably find a similar looking grain. Sand down the existing and stain it all to match.
JFolm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
For that matter, why are there 2x4's over the concrete slab?
Shows how little I know about construction maybe, but I have never even heard of 2 X 4's like that over a concrete slab. (other than maybe done later to allow room in floor for piping and draining of certain plumbing fixtures such as toilet or hot tub added after house built)
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message