Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
SaltKat
Registered Users-pm+

SaltKat is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Front door security question

Not sure exactly which section of the forum to ask this on, so apologies if I'm in the wrong spot. But I need some help....

I will be moving into a new house in a month, and the front door has a 4 inch wide and 3 foot tall piece of glass in the door (see picture below).

What advice do you have on how to secure this door? I'm afraid of people smashing the glass and reaching in and unlocking. I'm thinking of installing a double cylinder lock, but I would prefer if they made one that was electronic on both sides so I don't have to keep a key nearby.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaltKat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
If it bothers you change the door....
I have had glass in my door for 20 years....
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Tortuga
El Viejo

Tortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to Pirate
I wouid change that door first thing Monday...

Pure invitation to a crook...
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
jm423
Registered Users-pm+

jm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Pirate
Not to cast a wet blanket, but if the crook wants in he'll get in--window, jimmy lock, etc..etc. Motion detecting or IR alarm system? Just saying--
jm423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
TxDuSlayer
TxDuSlayer

TxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to Pirate
If you change the door go to Bison lumber and order you a new steel door with a no rot jamb and have them install a kick plate. Which is a steel plate inside the jamb, which they will break there leg before they kick the door open. I paid $300 for mine these are built on site and make any type of door you want.
Also you can add 3 to 4 inch screws behind the weather stripping which really makes it stronger. I have been on burglary calls where builder was so cheap only had two nails were all that was holding frame in, course one good kick the whole thing feel down and burglars walked right in. That glass is stronger than you think.
TxDuSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
fy0834
Somewhere in the woods

fy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Piratefy0834 has been promoted to Pirate
Leave that
Door
And place
An outside door made out of wrought iron or steel tubing or rod.

Of course if the want in .... there's always a way ... the more you secure, the more they damage.
fy0834 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
TxDuSlayer
TxDuSlayer

TxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to PirateTxDuSlayer has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
Leave that
Door
And place
An outside door made out of wrought iron or steel tubing or rod.

Of course if the want in .... there's always a way ... the more you secure, the more they damage.
Yes, but the more you secure the more they are going to leave your home alone and move onto and easier and less secured target!!!!
TxDuSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
SaltKat
Registered Users-pm+

SaltKat is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks for the tips guys. I think the immediate solution will be a double cylinder dead bolt that requires a key on both sides and some heavy duty screws/nails to secure everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaltKat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
ChampT22
Registered Users-pm+

ChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to Pirate
Not sure, but a double cylinder deadbolt is against code. If there is a fire, you will not want to be looking for a key.
ChampT22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
18 Hewes
Registered Users-pm+

18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner18 Hewes has been promote to Gunner
We have one of these.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Secu...SABEgI5GPD_BwE
If you read the description it can withstand a hit from a baseball bat +
18 Hewes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message