Nitro engines locked after years in the attic - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Hobbies Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #1
71 Fish
Registered Users-pm+

71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate
Nitro engines locked after years in the attic

Brought some gas RC stuff down after 15 or so years and 3 of 4 engines are locked up. The one that spins free is on a plane that was given to me so I assume the person that gave it to me knew how to lay it up properly. I imagine I just threw the others up there after their last run. Are the engines toast or possibly salvageable? Kevin
71 Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
yellowskeeter

yellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirate
Soak them in mystery oil for a couple days
yellowskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
snapperlicious
Registered Users-pm+

snapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Pirate
That fuel gets pretty sticky after sitting for a long time
snapperlicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
71 Fish
Registered Users-pm+

71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate71 Fish has been promoted to Pirate
I was more worried about corrosion, oxidation and pictured them being solid chunks or rust. Are you saying it is likely just gummed up?
71 Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
snapperlicious
Registered Users-pm+

snapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Pirate
More than likely. As stated earlier I would soak them in a lubricant and then try and spin them.
snapperlicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
cubera
Registered Users-pm+

cubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Pirate
Soak them, it's more than likely castor oil or a similar synthetic.
cubera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Tony06
Registered Users-pm+

Tony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to PirateTony06 has been promoted to Pirate
Whenever i have had old nitro engines that were seized i would put them in a crock pot with plain old green antifreeze on low for a couple hours. If you can disassemble the engine that is the best way to do it. If not just remove the carb and any o-rings or plastic parts. If you try this method just make sure to do it outside and dont use the crock pot for food even if cleaned. I have seen cheap crock pots at walmart for 10 bucks.
Tony06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
jboehm
Registered Users-pm+

jboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Piratejboehm has been promoted to Pirate
WD 40 works great for this.
jboehm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboehm View Post
WD 40 works great for this.
That's what I used. Worked at a hobby shop for quite a few years, and saw many locked/gummed up engines. Denatured alcohol/wd40 or more nitro fuel and let it soak. It will free up. Once it frees up, but some oil down the glow plug hole and rotate it by hand. Add fuel and fire them up.

You can always pull the back plate and inspect for rust, but usually its just gummed up and varnished fuel. The castor does a good job of protecting against rust.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
Flyingvranch

Flyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to Pirate
I have probably over one hundred engines, some are over 60 years old. The crock pot trick described earlier is the best way, hands down. The alcohol left in the old fuel in the engines does attract moisture which will freeze the bearings. Take apart what you can, (use good screwdrivers) and soak them a few days in a warm solution of antifreeze. Do one engine at a time so you don't get the parts mixed up. I have been flying 51 years and have seen it all at one point or another. I just restored and fired up a 1947 ignition engine last week. Have fun!
Flyingvranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message