Any one into welding willing to teach ?? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Hobbies Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
bigdawg
Shark Hunter

bigdawg is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Looks like quite a bit of buckshot, try adjusting your wire speed till you hear that sizzle sound. If you feel the gun pushing your hand back while feeding then you have too much wire speed(or not enough heat) and if you see little droplets melting at the end of you wire while welding then you need more wire speed(or less heat). Also be sure you have clean( very clean) metal, especially with mig. And make sure you peel off a couple of wraps of wire before you start welding. most people just leave the spools on the machine when not in use. Any condensation can cause slight surface rust on the wire and this too can cause the buckshot. Mig is all about the prep and learning to adjust your machine to get that happy place where everything is flowing perfect. Hood time is how you get there. You are well on your way.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
FLATSDADDY
Registered Users-pm+

FLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFLATSDADDY has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Thanks for taking the time to help out.

When you say 'adjust' wire feed rate. Is there a certain percentage or multiple to use?

As I mentioned, last settings I used were 21 Volts and wire feed rate was 143.
Should I drop the rate to 130 and give it a try? What is a number to adjust it by and re evaluate. Both going up or going down in feed rate? Does it depend on thickness of the metal being welded or the wire thickness?

Also what multiples do should I use to adjust Voltage?

I am sorry if I am asking something really basic and dumb, but as I mentioned, welding is something completely new to me.

Once again, thanks.
FLATSDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #13
sotxks
Registered Users-pm+

sotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Piratesotxks has been promoted to Pirate
Look on your machine or in the manual for a guideline. Possible on the inside of the door where you put your wire in. Hopefully you can find a table that will tell you some good starting points. It will take your your wire size, metal thickness and type of gas into consideration and tell you what you should need on heat and wire speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sotxks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
hog_down
Registered Users-pm+

hog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Pirate
Like the others said, it's all about practice. Those welds look pretty good for a beginner. Nothing that a good angle grinder can't fix... I would look on the door of your welder and see what they suggest. Keep playing with the settings until you like the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
bigdawg
Shark Hunter

bigdawg is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATSDADDY View Post
Thanks for taking the time to help out.

When you say 'adjust' wire feed rate. Is there a certain percentage or multiple to use?

As I mentioned, last settings I used were 21 Volts and wire feed rate was 143.
Should I drop the rate to 130 and give it a try? What is a number to adjust it by and re evaluate. Both going up or going down in feed rate? Does it depend on thickness of the metal being welded or the wire thickness?

Also what multiples do should I use to adjust Voltage?

I am sorry if I am asking something really basic and dumb, but as I mentioned, welding is something completely new to me.

Once again, thanks.
Like the others said, check the manufacturers recommended settings and then adjust from there till you find that happy place. If you can welded with one hand and adjust the wire speed with the other you will find it. By the looks of your weld I would say you were running a little hot. With Mig you should be able to see the oscillation of the weave in the finished weld, flux core is a much smoother looking due to needing to run hotter.Every machine is different and every welder has a different technique so you will need to find yours. Just play with it and you will hear and feel and see it when you get there.

There is no such thing as a dumb question brother, feel free to ask anytime. I used to teach welding and have been in the business 30 years so I'm glad to help.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #16
TWHJ28
Dont stare

TWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to PirateTWHJ28 has been promoted to Pirate
Always clean your plate very well before you start welding on it. Get all the mill-scale off where its shiny/clean. This will make a big difference in weld quality. overlap your beads by about half and the appearance will be really nice. When you have the machine set correctly it will be a constant smooth buzzing sound.
TWHJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #17
reese
Registered Users-pm+

reese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Piratereese has been promoted to Pirate
Like said before, go off of the table on the door to get a reference point for your settings. Get setup to weld some scrap metal within reach of your machine and start welding with one hand and adjust the wire speed knob with the other hand to get it dialed in. You're getting there, just keep playing /practicing.
reese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #18
Matagorda Mako
Registered Users-pm+

Matagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to PirateMatagorda Mako has been promoted to Pirate
Miller has a pretty decent app that has set points for different types of metal. It gives you the choice of wire or stick

Mike
Matagorda Mako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
Hardhead59
Registered Users-pm+

Hardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to Pirate
Sorry I may be dense, but what's RGV?
Hardhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #20
Hardhead59
Registered Users-pm+

Hardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to PirateHardhead59 has been promoted to Pirate
I was once a certified welder, maybe I can help with some advice and maybe hands on.
Hardhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message