Bow hanging up on trailer bow stop/roller - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
SeaIsleDweller
Registered Users-pm+

SeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to Pirate
Bow hanging up on trailer bow stop/roller

My 22' bluewave classic is on a mclain trailer and when unloading/loading on a steep ramp the rolled lip on the bow will catch the roller or get hung up when trying to load it and I have to pick the bow up and try to winch at the same time. I've tried all kinds of different trailer depts etc even added an extra keel roller to try and give the bow more lift but still have the same issue. What are some things you guys have done to help this issue?
SeaIsleDweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
EvansMarine

EvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to Pirate
Im having same issue with one of my boats and its annoying especially at the ramp when everyone is waiting on you lol. I'm about to fabricate a nose stop and have it pull straight between the bow stop I build where its basically self aligning. Ill Post pictures once I get around to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaIsleDweller View Post
My 22' bluewave classic is on a mclain trailer and when unloading/loading on a steep ramp the rolled lip on the bow will catch the roller or get hung up when trying to load it and I have to pick the bow up and try to winch at the same time. I've tried all kinds of different trailer depts etc even added an extra keel roller to try and give the bow more lift but still have the same issue. What are some things you guys have done to help this issue?
Old 10-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
A receiver hitch trailer ball "stinger" that has more drop might help a little.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
You will need to redesign trailer to support the bow properly but can change all that to a bow nose stop.

Or take to George in Pearland at South Texas Boat Works and he can glass in a lil ramp of sorts that smooths the bow to the gunnel lip allowing roller to slide right by.
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
bss1
Registered Users-pm+

bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Usually, the bow hanging up on the bow stop is a sign of backing in too deep causing the stern to rise and the bow to drop. Therefore, putting less boat in the water is the normal solution. Also a keel roller after the bunks and before the bow stop is another potential help for this type of situation. However, it looks like you have tried both of these with no luck.

Another thing I seen done to get around this issue is to let out a foot of strap off of the winch before backing in all the way, tap the brakes on the way down the ramp when the back of the boat hits the water and get the bow to slide back off the stop before getting to full launch depth. Not optimal I know, but if you just have to launch every once in a while if you keep your boat on a sling or only occasionally visit a steep ramp, this may get you by. Just be careful not leave the winch in free spool and only let out enough line to clear the stop.

Just curious, does this happen to you at the Sea Isle neighborhood ramp?
bss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
bigrebar
Registered Users-pm+

bigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Pirate
My guess is the trailer is too far into the water. I have the same boat but don’t have that issue. I use plastic bunks, which are not popular on this forum. Silicon spray on your carpeted bunks would help the boat slide on and off without the trailer so far into the water, thus eliminating the nose of the boat hooking your eye roller.
bigrebar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
SeaIsleDweller
Registered Users-pm+

SeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bss1 View Post
Usually, the bow hanging up on the bow stop is a sign of backing in too deep causing the stern to rise and the bow to drop. Therefore, putting less boat in the water is the normal solution. Also a keel roller after the bunks and before the bow stop is another potential help for this type of situation. However, it looks like you have tried both of these with no luck.

Another thing I seen done to get around this issue is to let out a foot of strap off of the winch before backing in all the way, tap the brakes on the way down the ramp when the back of the boat hits the water and get the bow to slide back off the stop before getting to full launch depth. Not optimal I know, but if you just have to launch every once in a while if you keep your boat on a sling or only occasionally visit a steep ramp, this may get you by. Just be careful not leave the winch in free spool and only let out enough line to clear the stop.

Just curious, does this happen to you at the Sea Isle neighborhood ramp?

Thanks for the input .. I thought that extra keel roller after the bunks but before the stop would solve the issues also. I don't have issues using the sea isle ramp because it is not very steep but I use this boat mostly on lakes and most of the ramps i use are steep and especially becomes an issue if the lake is below full pool, I keep my Shearwater in sea isle full time in a lift so the bluewave does not see salt water very much anymore.

Spraying the bunks down so the boat will slip off faster would probably work but I know me and i'd end up forgetting the strap and dropping the boat off the trailer. Thought about having a stop fabricated that would catch the bow lower down the "V" and a separate winch post.
SeaIsleDweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
Don’t back in as far. Power on/off the trailer with the boat motor. When powering on, don’t drown your motor.
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
I had a similar problem on a Carolina Skiff but it had a large groove on the front (not just the lip). Solved it by replacing the bow roller with a really large/tall bow roller. The circumference was large enough to keep it from getting stuck in the groove. You obviously need to adjust the winch post a little lower to compensate. Not sure if that's an option or would help in your situation without seeing it.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
I built a lower bow stop on my skinny water boat that would probably work, though I did mine this way for other reasons...to teach the kiddos how to drive the boat on the trailer. They have these on larger offshore boat trailers and the hardware is available I'm sure...as seen in the other picture.
Attached Images

bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message